[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
June 15, 2024, 05:44:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Geraldo Rivera Confesses: I'm a Product of 'Affirmative Action'  (Read 1098 times)
apples
Global Moderator

« on: January 18, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2012/01/18/geraldo-rivera-confesses-im-product-affirmative-action

Geraldo Rivera's new radio talk show on WABC in New York is leading to Rivera blabbing at length about himself and his career. On Monday, Geraldo admitted he might not have had his high-profile career without racial quotas (or "affirmative action," in liberal-speak).

I'm a product, I think, of affirmative action, in the sense that I was a lawyer for the Young Lords [a leftist Puerto Rican nationalist group], and for poor people here in New York and then I got discovered and I was sent to Columbia Journalism School by this Ford Foundation program," Geraldo announced. [MP3 audio here]

He added: "Professor Fred Friendly, his intent was to integrate local news teams and that's why I got the job to begin with. So, I have to say that but for affirmative action, I might not be behind this microphone right now."

The Museum of Broadcast Communications website reports it this way:

Rivera was discovered while working as a lawyer for the New York Puerto Rican activist
He is one of the reasons I do not watch Fox anymore.
jafo2010

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:04:33 PM »

At least he is honest, which is more than I can say for Collin Powell, who is reluctant to admit the same.

I consider both men intelligent, but I also recognize they had breaks with their career that just weren't given to others.  I am against any form of discrimination, including reverse discrimination.
Vonne

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »

Have to admit, he annoys me.
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:32:45 AM »

powell had a distinguished career.  just from memory, he served two tours in viet nam, was twice decorated for bravery,  did the army's bidding after my lai, earned an MBA, and was assigned all the right jobs to earn the next promotion, be he did, in fact, always earn the next promotion. 

it is true that the armed forces anoint "favorites" and watch out for their careers.   but it has always been like that.  senior flag officers always have their favorites, and want to see them promoted.

At least he is honest, which is more than I can say for Collin Powell, who is reluctant to admit the same.

I consider both men intelligent, but I also recognize they had breaks with their career that just weren't given to others.  I am against any form of discrimination, including reverse discrimination.

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email