[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 01, 2024, 05:59:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D-DAY 73 YEARS AGO.  (Read 2337 times)
apples
Global Moderator

« on: June 06, 2017, 01:08:04 PM »

Haunting D-Day photos of brave Allied troops wading ashore in France and soldiers lying dead on the beach are transformed with colour on the 73rd anniversary of the Normandy landings

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4577194/D-Day-photos-colourised-73-years-landings.html

A remarkable set of colourised photos has emerged on the 73rd anniversary of the D-Day landings shedding new light on the day Allied troops fought their way on to the beaches of northern France.

Black and white images of brave soldiers wading onto Omaha beach on the Normandy coast and advancing on Nazi positions have been transformed using Photoshop.

Separate pictures show exhausted servicemen being dragged ashore by medics and British, US and Canadian troops and members of a US parachute regiment preparing for the landings.

The colourised images emerged on the 73rd anniversary of Operation Overlord, which saw some 156,000 Allied troops landing in Normandy. It is thought as many as 4,400 were killed in an operation the Second World War Prime Minister Winston Churchill described as 'undoubtedly the most complicated and difficult that has ever taken place'.
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 01:09:44 PM »

PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 02:50:48 PM »

My Pop was in the 4th ID, combat engineers. He landed on the  beach everybody forgets - Utah.

You can get more with a smile, a handshake and a gun than you can with a smile and a handshake - Al Capone
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 10:51:52 AM »

My Pop was in the 4th ID, combat engineers. He landed on the  beach everybody forgets - Utah.

Stepfather was on a beach too.
jafo2010

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 11:34:17 PM »

Mine was on quite a few beaches.  He drove a landing craft in the Pacific, was at Saipan, Okinawa, Leyte Gulf, Luzon, and others, and all his life, he refused to say one word to me about his experiences.

I idolized my father, and always considered him a hero.  But he never shared a single thought with me.
PzLdr

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 11:41:51 PM »

Mine was on quite a few beaches.  He drove a landing craft in the Pacific, was at Saipan, Okinawa, Leyte Gulf, Luzon, and others, and all his life, he refused to say one word to me about his experiences.

I idolized my father, and always considered him a hero.  But he never shared a single thought with me.

My Pop told very funny war stories. But about St. Mere Eglaise [his was the first ground unit in the next day] "Zero". Kept his comments on the Huertgen forest to a minimum, too. But when I was a kid, we watched "Victory at sea" faithfully every week together.

You can get more with a smile, a handshake and a gun than you can with a smile and a handshake - Al Capone
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email