[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
June 16, 2024, 04:44:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High school shuts down all clubs to prevent Gay-Straight Alliance  (Read 3519 times)
Miss Mia
Administrator

« on: February 27, 2011, 01:55:31 PM »

To Block A Gay-Straight Alliance, Texas High School Shuts Down All Extracurricular Clubs
https://news.change.org/stories/to-block-a-gay-straight-alliance-texas-high-school-shuts-down-all-extracurricular-clubs

A Corpus Christi, TX school district has responded to a student's request to create a Gay-Straight Alliance -- by shutting down all extracurricular clubs on campus.

Flour Bluff Intermediate School District's move comes after its high school gained national attention by blocking senior Bianca "Nikki" Peet's request to start a GSA. Hundreds of people have emailed the district on behalf of Peet through a Change.org petition, which was also linked to by the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN).

Texas A&M's GSA, which has been advocating for Peet, had called for a protest Monday, Feburary 28, 2011.

But Flour Bluff ISD Superintendent Julie Carbajal, in comments to The Daily Caller on Friday, said that there is no chance that district will approve the purposed Gay-Straight Alliance. She also has requested that the student group Fellowship of Christian Athletes meet off campus until they can determine if they are adhering to the 2005 school policy that only student groups tied to curricula are allowed.

By canceling all extra curricular clubs on campus, Flour Bluff ISD hopes to avoid the  Equal Access Act -- a federal law, passed in 1984, that requires schools receiving federal funding to offer "fair opportunities for students to form student-led extracurricular groups, regardless of their religious, political and philosophical leanings." The district still maintains that they do not have to follow the Equal Access Law.
-snip-

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »

are, or perhaps were, there extracurricular clubs allowed at this high school that encouraged heterosexual high school kids to have sex? because that is surely what we are talking about here.  

and why is there a national gay lobby attacking this one one high school?  it's really too bad that the troublemakers can't keep it in their pants, so to speak.

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
jafo2010

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »

Too bad no one is addressing education, which I guess is a secondary function of schools today.  Aligning the mindset of our youth to the belief that it is ok to be gay, so just accept it already....well, that is just plain B*LLSH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about running off the road and crashing straight into a tree....hmmm!
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 02:34:25 PM »

are, or perhaps were, there extracurricular clubs allowed at this high school that encouraged heterosexual high school kids to have sex? because that is surely what we are talking about here.  

and why is there a national gay lobby attacking this one one high school?  it's really too bad that the troublemakers can't keep it in their pants, so to speak.

You think a Gay-Straight Alliance is about people having sex?  Can't it be about understanding and not about sex?  I have gay friends, I've never talked about sex with them, even when they want to discuss their lives.  

And this isn't the first time a school has chosen to remove all clubs because they don't want a gay club.  I wouldn't say this is the "gay lobby" attacking this one school, any time a school district makes a decision against federal law (all clubs or no clubs) someone should point out that it isn't right.  I would think the school district would be less about imposing their views and have acceptance about those that are different than themselves.  
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:36:02 PM by Miss Mia » Logged

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »

understanding what?  understanding how to be gay or become gay.  do you really think freshmen in high school need this sort of indoctrination society?  high school is tough enough without this sort of crap.  it's outrageous.  and federal law, to the extent that it applies in this case, be damned.  if this happened at my kid's high school, I'd pull him out in a heartbeat.

the government, in the guise of public schools, have no business worrying about the sexual preferences of other people's children.

if they concerned themselves with education, they wouldn't suck at it quite so much.

You think a Gay-Straight Alliance is about people having sex?  Can't it be about understanding and not about sex?  I have gay friends, I've never talked about sex with them, even when they want to discuss their lives.  

And this isn't the first time a school has chosen to remove all clubs because they don't want a gay club.  I wouldn't say this is the "gay lobby" attacking this one school, any time a school district makes a decision against federal law (all clubs or no clubs) someone should point out that it isn't right.  I would think the school district would be less about imposing their views and have acceptance about those that are different than themselves.  

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

but it is crap like this that has created the whole industry of private schools that will eventually put public schools out of business*.  that is, unless the federal nazi's don't manage to pass some federal law telling you where you have to send your own children to school.

*oh wait.  you can't put a public institution out of business.  they just raise your taxes and create even more mayhem.

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 02:49:52 PM »

understanding what?  understanding how to be gay or become gay.  do you really think freshmen in high school need this sort of indoctrination society?  high school is tough enough without this sort of crap.  it's outrageous.  and federal law, to the extent that it applies in this case, be damned.  if this happened at my kid's high school, I'd pull him out in a heartbeat.

the government, in the guise of public schools, have no business worrying about the sexual preferences of other people's children.

if they concerned themselves with education, they wouldn't suck at it quite so much.

You would have hated where I went to high school...we had a *gasp* Islamic club, along with the Christian Bible study and atheist/agnostic club.  No one's forced to join any extra-curricular clubs.  Would you be worried that your child is being forced into it? 

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »

it doesn't matter that your high school had a muslim club, or a martian club, or an "I want to paint myself purpose" club, or any other kind of club.

schools are supposed to educate.  when they start pushing political agendas (on MY tax dollars, by the way), they have gone badly astray.  they should concentrate on education, at least until they can get that right.

and when the freaking federal government starts protecting what the vast majority of parents would consider aberrant behavior over some misguided compulsion of fairness (which is an almost useless word), then the central government is flirting with tyranny.  PERIOD.

now, shut up.  Grin the dodgers are on.  I have been waiting all week for this. Wink

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »

it doesn't matter that your high school had a muslim club, or a martian club, or an "I want to paint myself purpose" club, or any other kind of club.

schools are supposed to educate.  when they start pushing political agendas (on MY tax dollars, by the way), they have gone badly astray.  they should concentrate on education, at least until they can get that right.

and when the freaking federal government starts protecting what the vast majority of parents would consider aberrant behavior over some misguided compulsion of fairness (which is an almost useless word), then the central government is flirting with tyranny.  PERIOD.

now, shut up.  Grin the dodgers are on.  I have been waiting all week for this. Wink

But at the point of shutting down ALL clubs, isn't the school district pushing their political agenda?  I have to agree with the rule, all or none, I just find it sad that the school district would rather punish every club instead of allowing a new one to join. 

woo...Dodgers. 

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »

the school isn't punishing kids.  it is protecting them.  and I am supremely confident that it is doing so with the nearly unanimous support of the parents of those kids.  what is sad is that a gay group from a nearby college is involved.  I suppose they are recruiting sweet young things for the next freshman class.

government is supposed to educate kids.  not indoctrinate them.  and not raise them.  they don't belong to the state.  and they shouldn't be subject to this sort of influence that their parents -- you remember them, right? the people that conceived them and raised them? -- consider to be immoral.

natstew

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »

You would have hated where I went to high school...we had a *gasp* Islamic club, along with the Christian Bible study and atheist/agnostic club.  No one's forced to join any extra-curricular clubs.  Would you be worried that your child is being forced into it? 

Nowonder you're like you are! Huh? :Smiley
natstew

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 05:27:40 PM »

Libtards are all for democracy until it goes against their agenda.

The School District should run their schools, not the Feds, the ACLU, or Texas A&M.

The School District should decide what goes on on their property after hours as well as during school hours, by majority vote of the people in the school district.
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 05:28:18 PM »

Nowonder you're like you are! Huh? :Smiley

I have no idea what you mean.

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 05:32:21 PM »

the school isn't punishing kids.  it is protecting them.  and I am supremely confident that it is doing so with the nearly unanimous support of the parents of those kids.  what is sad is that a gay group from a nearby college is involved.  I suppose they are recruiting sweet young things for the next freshman class.

government is supposed to educate kids.  not indoctrinate them.  and not raise them.  they don't belong to the state.  and they shouldn't be subject to this sort of influence that their parents -- you remember them, right? the people that conceived them and raised them? -- consider to be immoral.

'Recruiting'?  :Smiley

Then I know you're glad they're removing all clubs. You should push for your local schools to remove non-academic related activities, including sports.

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »

they certainly aren't gong to swell their roles by procreation.  and I'm not pushing for my local schools to do anything.  they aren't under attack by the gay rights lobby around here.  in my neck of the woods, we don't force 98% of the population to accept the agenda of 2%. 

and we don't generally allow the state to raise kids.  the whole thing is just despicable.  the next thing the gay right lobby will be pushing for a NAMBLA chapter at that high school.

and why not blame the gay rights lobby?  they obviously knew what would happen if they interfered with this particular school.  it had happened before.  it certainly looks like they are intentionally forcing this school to shut down extracurricular activity after extracurricular activity.

"accept our agenda or we will shut you down".  and the crying shame is that even if it was possible to know if you were gay or not when you are a freshman in high school, there probably aren't three people in the whole damn place that would join the freaking club.

'Recruiting'?  :Smiley

Then I know you're glad they're removing all clubs. You should push for your local schools to remove non-academic related activities, including sports.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email