[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
April 25, 2024, 04:42:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban on tobacco urged in military  (Read 2045 times)
Wretched Excess

« on: July 13, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »

forget the perils of angering off large numbers of heavily armed young men and women. Grin  this could be the first domino to get tripped.  if the gov't pays for the healthcare of members of the US armed forces, the thinking goes, then the government can dictate what sort of behavior that they deem unhealthy and therefore prohibit.

it's easier because it's the military.  I suppose that gates could simply declare cigarettes (and alcohol, for that matter) prohibited and soldiers could be ordered to not smoke.

interesting that some pentagon spokesman or other says that the pentagon supports a smoke free military.  that is going to come as a shock to some people.

Ban on tobacco urged in military

WASHINGTON — Pentagon health experts are urging Defense Secretary Robert Gates to ban the use of tobacco by troops and end its sale on military property, a change that could dramatically alter a culture intertwined with smoking.

Jack Smith, head of the Pentagon's office of clinical and program policy, says he will recommend that Gates adopt proposals by a federal study that cites rising tobacco use and higher costs for the Pentagon and Department of Veterans Affairs as reasons for the ban.

The study by the Institute of Medicine, requested by the VA and Pentagon, calls for a phased-in ban over a period of years, perhaps up to 20. "We'll certainly be taking that recommendation forward," Smith says.

A tobacco ban would confront a military culture, the report says, in which "the image of the battle-weary soldier in fatigues and helmet, fighting for his country, has frequently included his lit cigarette."

Also, the report said, troops worn out by repeated deployments often rely on cigarettes as a "stress reliever." The study found that tobacco use in the military increased after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan began.

Pentagon spokeswoman Cynthia Smith said the department supports a smoke-free military "and believes it is achievable." She declined to elaborate on any possible ban.

More
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:49:45 PM »

Well, they better not let them all go cold-turkey...well maybe if they do that surge in Afghanistan might work.  lol 

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:16:23 PM »

Well, they better not let them all go cold-turkey...well maybe if they do that surge in Afghanistan might work.  lol 

I'm thinking that if they took away the cigarettes and the midol, the whole thing could be over by this weekend.
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:23:04 PM »

I'm thinking that if they took away the cigarettes and the midol, the whole thing could be over by this weekend.

Oh....yes, yes, yes!  Someone call Gates!

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email