[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
April 24, 2024, 06:08:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City asks applicants for Internet passwords  (Read 1964 times)
Miss Mia
Administrator

« on: June 19, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »

City asks applicants for Internet passwords

Job applicants with the city of Bozeman are finding that their private Internet discussions and pictures may not be so private after all.

The city is asking job seekers for the user names and passwords to Internet social networking or Web groups to which they belong. The decision is sparking an outcry from those who say the policy goes way too far.

The issue has spawned hundreds of comments on Web forums and sharp criticism from legislators and the ACLU.

"I liken it to them saying they want to look at your love letters and your family photos," said Amy Cannata, with the American Civil Liberties Union of Montana. "I think this policy certainly crosses the privacy line."

The city argues that it only uses the information to verify application information — and says it won't hold it against anyone for refusing to provide it. City officials say such checks can be useful, especially when hiring police officers and others in a position of public trust.

-snip-

Oh hell no.  I'm with the ACLU on this.  There's no way in hell I'd give people my passwords.  They can search for me and look at anything that's not private on the internet, but my passwords?  Oh hell no. 

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Vonne

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:48:25 PM »

Thankfully, after much media attention, they've changed their policy requirements mandating one's social networking accounts and passwords.  Interestingly enough, the city administrators who mandated it, exempted themselves by way of stating that they were dutifully elected and therefore already publicly vetted.   :Smiley
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:51:22 PM »

Thankfully, after much media attention, they've changed their policy requirements mandating one's social networking accounts and passwords.  Interestingly enough, the city administrators who mandated it, exempted themselves by way of stating that they were dutifully elected and therefore already publicly vetted.   :Smiley

Yeah, I wouldn't give that out either.  So, if someone from the city logged in as you started posting, can you then sue them? 

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email