[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 17, 2024, 03:56:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Party celebrates China Web filter delay  (Read 2074 times)
Miss Mia
Administrator

« on: July 02, 2009, 02:50:41 PM »

Party celebrates China Web filter delay
Lawyer who campaigned against software said declaring victory premature

BEIJING - Chinese Web users flooded to a trendy art zone cafe on Wednesday to celebrate a last-minute halt to a rollout of government-sponsored filtering software, and make a stand for freedom of expression in the Communist-run state.

Dressed in T-shirts mocking the Green Dam program, about 200 Beijing residents had arrived by midmorning to eat a traditional Chinese breakfast, denounce censorship and prepare for a day-long party.

Originally conceived as part of an Internet boycott to mark the July 1 launch of the filter — and to give a Web-addicted generation something to do during the 24 hours offline — the atmosphere was festive as guests celebrated what many said was an unexpected victory against state censorship.

"This is a very rare example for the government to suddenly push back an important decision the night before it is due to be rolled out," said outspoken artist Ai Weiwei, who organised the boycott and the party.

-snip-

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email