[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 17, 2024, 11:57:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanksgiving Recipes....Have Any?  (Read 913 times)
apples
Global Moderator

« on: November 22, 2011, 11:53:49 AM »

With Thanksgiving this week does the forum have any recipes they would like to share?

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »

yes.  have thanksgiving dinner catered. Wink

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:18:12 PM »

Dad did that for us one year.
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »

I'm spending this Thursday with my mom.  It's just the two of us, but our dinner will consist of turkey, cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, fruit salad, dirty rice and rolls, and a pumpkin pie for dessert.  Yum.

As for my recipes, the last few years we had spent Thanksgiving with my grandfather and a bunch of family.  It's always requested that I bring carrot cake.  I use this recipe Gigi's Carrot Cake.  I do two layers not three and use toasted walnut pieces not pecan.  And top with Cream Cheese Frosting

Cream Cheese Frosting
2 pkgs cream cheese, softened
2 sticks butter, softened
powdered sugar
pure vanilla extract
almond extract

First blend together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy.  Or if the stuff is too room temperature, until it's well blended.  (I used the whisk on my KitchenAid.) Then add in powdered sugar.  I think I usually end up with 2 cups, but after 1-1/2 cups I start tasting the frosting.  I don't like it too sweet.  Then once it's at the right sweetness, I had probably a tablespoon and a half of vanilla and 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of almond.  A little almond goes a long way and seriously almond extract makes everything better.  If the frosting is too thin, put it in the fridge for 15-30 min to thicken up.

After you level the cakes, put a thin coat of frosting on and then put the cake in the fridge for at least 30 min.  This sets up the thin layer and catches all your crumbs and makes your top coat look extra pretty.  This is enough frosting for a good thick layer between the cakes.

I like to put walnut pieces on the side of the cake to spruce it up (toasted or not, either way makes it pretty).  

edited to add:  I always start with fresh carrots, peel and then grate with the food processor (the only reason I own a food processor).  Someone tried to convince me that you could use carrot baby food, but I dunno about that.  I also try and squeeze out the excess water from the carrots.  A 32 oz bag of fresh carrots makes plenty grated for the cake. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:05:27 PM by Miss Mia » Logged

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:03:30 PM »

Many years ago, when my parents were married it was the three of us.  My mom decided we were going to go to the Golden Corral for Thanksgiving.  We only did it one year and then forced my mom back in the kitchen the next year.  Heh

Well, now that it'll be just mom and me this year we're just doing each of our favorite dishes.  There will still be plenty of leftovers, but not too bad.  Plus, I can eat cornbread dressing for weeks, my mom makes the best!

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email