[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 04, 2024, 02:21:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Literature, Books, Comics: What are you reading?  (Read 1116 times)
Vonne

« on: May 04, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »

I'm currently reading:

Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets
by Sudhir Venkatesh, Professor of Sociology at Columbia University.

It's essentially the experience of a young and very naive graduate student in sociology who spends several years with a gang that rules a Chicago housing project.  Observing, chronicling, and studying their social structure and interaction with the various community factions.  It's the basis for the chapter in Levitt and Dubner's book, Freakonomics, entitled:  "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?".

Vonne

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »

My next book is the newly released:

A Planet of Viruses
by Carl Zimmer, frequent science writer for Discover magazine and The New York Times.

Which is about, you guessed correct, Viruses and their sway over our planet and life.  From the description, it sounds like it's the latest incarnation in the recent trend of popular science writings that are collections of entertaining stories and facts about various subjects.  

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:17:01 PM »

I'm currently reading "Practice of Management & Leadership - case study" for school.   Cheesy

I have almost a two week break from classes, I'm going to try and get through more of the book on Rasputin I've been reading for this last year.  The Rasputin File by Edvard Radzinsky 

I also want to start  Make It in America: The Case for Re-Inventing the Economy by Andrew Liveris.

Oh and I really, really want to read In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larsen. I really really liked his book "Devil in the White City."

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Mike220

Cirrhosis the Wonder Dog

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 01:47:26 AM »

Well, other than textbooks... I just got done reading:

Six Days: How the 1967 War Shaped the Middle East

Need to finish:

Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia: 1600-1947

Next start will probably be:

As soon as I can buy it that is. In about a year from today, I will be graduating from college and the day after I'm done, I plan to fly out to Cali and start a 5 month trip from SoCal to Canada. Can't wait!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email