[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 22, 2024, 09:41:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a new pet peeve  (Read 6539 times)
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« on: April 01, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »

state lotteries.  and I don't care if they are there to fund education, or build roads, or any of the other seemingly worthy causes that they claim to support.  I don't care if they are there to find every single kid that is on the side of milk cartons.  I don't care if they will fund cancer research.

leave aside for the moment that it is state sponsored gambling (and how far behind can state sponsored prostitution be?).  it's not even good gambling (if there is such a thing).  no skill required.  pick a number.  watch tv.  that's the whole exercise.

my biggest problem with state lotteries is that I always seem to get behind lottery ticket buyers at the 7-11 when I am buying beer or cigarettes.  it takes an agonizingly long time to get them the hell out of the way.  and lottery people are, as a rule, stupid to begin with.  they have to be, to keep gambling at something that offers a smaller chance of winning than being hit by lightning.  and most of them would be more improved by the lightning than the lottery.

bumbling, stammering fools with a 1978 vista cruiser station wagon full of dirty kids idling in the parking lot.  that is your average lottery player.  you just don't see a guy jump out of a mercedes wearing armani, and run into the quick-stop to buy a lottery ticket.

the whole thing just annoys the hell out of me.

and.of.rant. 

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »

I don't regularly participate in lotteries. Though the day I was offered the job I currently have was almost 24 hours after I had been laid off. My mom said I should buy a lotto ticket.

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »

I don't regularly participate in lotteries. Though the day I was offered the job I currently have was almost 24 hours after I had been laid off. My mom said I should buy a lotto ticket.

you hit the jackpot in a totally different way  Wink

Doc
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »

you hit the jackpot in a totally different way  Wink

I always considered lotteries a "State tax on stupidity".......

doc
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »

whatever else it is, it's a secretly hyper-regressive tax.  it may as well be a tax on poor people, simply for being poor.

natstew

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 10:09:52 AM »

the ones that bother me are the ones that buy a scratch off ticket and scratch it at the counter then buy another one and scratch it..........................
jafo2010

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »

Hey, I disagree with all of you.  I fully support voluntary taxation.  I wish more people would practice voluntary taxation as well.

As the rich keep getting richer, and the poor become larger in numbers, it is part of what is necessary to keep the masses in check.  Come on now, this is almost economics 101.  The poor uneducated have to have a dream, this is their dream.

In a survey conducted a few years ago in regard to retirement, 40% of those surveyed indicated that winning the lottery was their ONLY way they would ever retire.  Having been in the business as a broker, I can tell you that only what used to be 7% and now I am certain that number has been fully cut in half with this piss poor economy, that those few have the money to retire and live the lifestyle of their dreams.  The rest of us HAVE TO CONTINUE WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!

So, let that poor dumb b*stard have his dream.  I have to run now and go buy my ticket for tonight's Power Ball.  I drive a Cadillac...older, but the last year they made what I call a true Cadillac.

Again, I fully support voluntary taxation, and the ever so small hope that I too can be rescued from a life of working until I drop dead!
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 01:42:24 PM »

The money does not ever go to which is was intentend. When I lived in CA they OK'd to ad a tax for schools of course a few years later a report came out the money did not go to schools.  Now that I live in another state I rarely go into town so I do not buy them anymore.
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »

the ones that bother me are the ones that buy a scratch off ticket and scratch it at the counter then buy another one and scratch it..........................

that JUST happened to me.  the gentleman in front of me, who, other than causing me to age prematurely seemed like a perfectly agreeable type, bought a lottery ticket of some sort or another, apparently won, and used the winnings to buy another ticket.  that went on several times.

meanwhile, my beer is getting hot, and my hot dogs are getting cold.  (I'm addicted to (among other things  Grin) the greasy hot dogs that you see spinning around on the roller grill at the 7-11)

jafo2010

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 07:47:50 PM »

Heaven forbid.  What, you have a death wish or something?  If you knew how those dogs were made, you would never eat them again.

You are eating everything...the hoofs and everything that cannot be packaged that looks nice in a grocery store.

Yuk!  Double yuk!
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »

yeah, I know.  eyelids and buttholes.  I love 'em anyway.   Grin

jafo2010

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »

You think you are funny.  Go to the plant they make them for a tour, then tell me you will continue eating them..

Again....YUK!

I once had a philosophy professor start the first minutes of class on the first day by asking...Who here has eaten SH*T....raise your hand?  Well that certainly got everyone's attention.....No one raised their hand.  They sat there is semi shock over the question.  He proceeded to explain, everyone has eaten SH*T.

Who here has eaten shrimp in a restaurant?  I believe every hand went up, and he proceeded to tell all present, then you have eaten SH*T!!!

The point is, with hot dogs, you really are eating some gruesome stuff...and I know you well enough, that if you went to the plant, you would probably not be able to look at another dog without tossing your cookies.
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »

of course, then the question becomes, what does sh*t eating (or lack thereof) have to do with philosophy?  Grin  was he ramping up to something?

jafo2010

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 08:45:39 PM »

H*ll, that was back when you were a T-baller....I do not recall where he went from there....

As a matter of fact, I do not recall anything else about that class, other than we were given an assignment that night to write a 30 page single space typed report on one of ten subject.  One of those subjects was CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.  Back then, I was quite the liberal, and I opposed CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.  However, by the time I finished the term paper at the end of the semester, I wrote my paper on:  Is Capital Punishment a Deterrent to Crime...and found out it resoundingly was not, but I did a 180 and was 100% behind capital punishment because by then, I fully believed in the one aspect that all the studies showed CP as serving, that being revenge.

People that do bad things to good people should be made to pay in a like manner, so those that commit the serious crimes, they should pay.

By the way, it is cheaper to keep a criminal in prison for the rest of his life than bring him to a capital punishment end.  The cost was huge to result in a capital punishment criminal being executed.  HUGE Difference, but I still believe in CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.

Off the subject, but I thought I would reflect.
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »

capital punishment is absolutely a deterrent to anyone that is executed.

and I never played t-ball. Grin  I was born hitting fastballs.  it was curve balls that ended my baseball career.  Sad

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email