[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 18, 2024, 10:32:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Sending Marines To Help In Libya  (Read 3982 times)
apples
Global Moderator

« on: March 01, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/030111-u.s.-sending-marines-to-help-in-libya

Fox News says the United States has deployed some Marines and two amphibious ships to help with the evacuations in Libya.

The news comes one day after the U.S. moved naval and air forces closer to Libya and said all options were open, including patrols of the North African nation's skies to protect its citizens from their ruler, Muammar Qaddafi.

The Obama administration is demanding that Gadhafi relinquish power immediately.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton warned that Libya is at risk of collapsing into a "protracted civil war" amid increasingly violent clashes between the two sides.

On Tuesday, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice cast doubt on Qaddafi's sanity and ability to lead and said the international community will continue pressuring Qaddafi with embargos and sanctions until he steps down.

"Any time you have somebody who laughs with American and international journalists while slaughtering his own people, I think they're not only delusional, one has to question their grip on reality," Rice said on NBC's "Today Show," referring to an interview Qaddafi gave Monday to ABC and the BBC.

"We have to assume that we're dealing with somebody who is no longer--if ever was--fit to lead his nation and whose behavior is unpredictable and irrational," Rice added.

The turmoil in Libya drove stocks down again on Tuesday as oil prices hovered near $100 a barrel.
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:29:35 PM »

how many americans are left in libya?

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »

how many americans are left in libya?
   I thought they all got out?
jafo2010

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:10:30 PM »

Helping US citizens escape is one thing....sending them in for any other purpose...is unacceptable use of our forces...the USA is NOT about invading nation states, even when they are practicing genocide......just not our business!
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »

Helping US citizens escape is one thing....sending them in for any other purpose...is unacceptable use of our forces...the USA is NOT about invading nation states, even when they are practicing genocide......just not our business!
Have you seen the new Navy motto? A Global Force for Good?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.navy.com%2F&rct=j&q=a%20global%20force%20for%20good&ei=CYJtTYyYC46osAPm4sG-BQ&usg=AFQjCNEArY8wwtl7XXKJRArq5hxPBas1Hg&cad=rja

apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »

U.S. Orders Ships to Libya as Battle Lines Harden
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704506004576173831133467692.html
The U.S. ordered two warships and 400 Marines to the waters off Libya on Tuesday, but a top Obama administration official stopped short of saying the forces would intervene in the country's growing civil war.  At a Pentagon briefing, Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced he had ordered to the Mediterranean the USS Ponce and the USS Kearsarge, an amphibious-assault ship that typically carries V-22 Ospreys and MH-53E troop-transport helicopters. The Marines, currently in the U.S., will be airlifted to meet the ships.

Mr. Gates wouldn't specify the military options he has offered President Barack Obama. But he sounded a note of caution about sending U.S. forces into Libya. "We have to think about the use of the U.S. military in another country in the Middle East," Mr. Gates said. "We are sensitive about all these things."

Inside Libya, battle lines hardened, with forces loyal to Col. Moammar Gadhafi blocking the advance of rebel forces based in the eastern stronghold of Benghazi. But their spread has been interrupted, with pro-government forces retaking Ras Lanuf, in the central part of the country. Meanwhile, cities in the west that rose up independently from the central government, most notably the country's third-largest city Misrata, have successfully withstood government attempts to regain control.
What the f? Why is he doing this. Then why not for North Korea? Why not for Iran? CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY HE IS DOING THIS? He will I think send in troops. WHY?
GeronL

안녕하세요

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:28:03 PM »

Can you say Pretext??

안녕하십니까
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 08:52:14 PM »

Pentagon Deploys More Military Near Libya, 'Optimistic' About Popular Revolutions in Mideast

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/01/gates-deploys-military-near-libya-optimistic-popular-revolutions-mideast/
The White House has said repeatedly this week that repositioning forces keeps all options on the table, from military intervention to the distribution of humanitarian aid.

Earlier Tuesday, Gen. James Mattis, the head of U.S. Central Command, offered a stern reminder to Congress that establishing a "no-fly zone" over Libya would involve combat and serious risks.

"You would have to remove air defense capability in order to establish a no-fly zone," Mattis said. "So no illusions here, it would be a military operation. It wouldn't be just telling people not to fly airplanes."
A humanitarian deployment. Like the U.N. Should be doing. Obama's new motto for the Navy A Global Force For Good. I see now what he is doing.

GeronL

안녕하세요

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »

Pentagon Deploys More Military Near Libya, 'Optimistic' About Popular Revolutions in Mideast

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/01/gates-deploys-military-near-libya-optimistic-popular-revolutions-mideast/ A humanitarian deployment. Like the U.N. Should be doing. Obama's new motto for the Navy A Global Force For Good. I see now what he is doing.

Not the military's job, just send in the Peace Corps

안녕하십니까
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 08:22:02 PM »

Not the military's job, just send in the Peace Corps
I think that is the plan for the Global Force For Good...Navy
jafo2010

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »

What the f? Why is he doing this. Then why not for North Korea? Why not for Iran? CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY HE IS DOING THIS? He will I think send in troops. WHY?
                               Apples

Apples,

He is merely following the Bush model for re-election success.  And almost literally by the same number of days prior to the presidential election.  I have stated he needs a good war and/or the birth of a baby while in office to have any opportunity for getting re-elected.

North Korea is a protectorate of China and falls under their wing.  Libya on the other hand has no major nation standing up for them.

I might add that Obama has done one thing that JFK failed to do, and that is placate the military, thus rendering them a non threat for a coup as in JFK's assassination, which I believe was ordered by the military/industrial complex of the USA.
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »

I'm not sure that was what apples was driving at

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
GeronL

안녕하세요

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 01:50:12 PM »

These people want to gut the military and send them into wars we have ZERO business being involved in.

안녕하십니까
natstew

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 03:00:10 PM »

I wonder if the Marines would rather be serving drinks at the White House.
jafo2010

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 03:05:35 PM »

Marines invading to rescue Americans is one thing...Americans to invade so that revolutionaries can be heard or their lives protected...it is not our business!!!!!!!!!!!

Just one US soldier dying there is criminal.  There are no acceptable loses for such an illegal incursion.  Let the Libyans find their own way without our interference.

Our interference has prolonged the conflict in the Middle East, and it is high time we extricate ourselves from feet on the ground b*llsh*t!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email