[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 24, 2024, 09:19:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Senate Votes Down the Repeal of the Health Care Law  (Read 3485 times)
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« on: February 02, 2011, 06:40:57 PM »

Senate Votes Down the Repeal of the Health Care Law

51-47
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:44:19 PM by JohnBrowdie » Logged

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:42:03 PM »

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/02/02/5977699-united-senate-dems-defeat-health-care-repeal-measure-

Carrie Dann writes:Senate Democrats remained united on Wednesday in killing a Republican effort to repeal the health care bill signed into law last March. 

As expected, no Democrats voted against a procedural motion that effectively defeated a GOP amendment -- sponsored by Republican Leader Mitch McConnell and tacked on to an unrelated aviation bill -- to repeal the health legislation. 

All Republicans voted together in favor of the McConnell-sponsored amendment. The vote was 47-51.

The House passed the repeal measure last month.

But the defeat of the equivalent legislation in the Senate means that the ultimate fate of the health care bill will likely not be settled until the Supreme Court hears an expected constitutional challenge to the law
I see MSMBC has this up right away. Yet the Judges ruling calling Obamacare unconstitutional was not on that website most of that day.
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »

not a single dem vote.  so be it, dead guys.  see you in 2012

Although several states indicated they will not implement the health care law now that one federal district judge has ruled it void, a Republican effort Wednesday to add an amendment to an airports construction bill to repeal the law failed by a Senate vote of 51-47.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's decision to use the House-passed repeal as an amendment to the Federal Aviation Administration legislation did not win a single Democrat vote.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/02/senate-debates-health-care-law-anew-wholesale-repeal-unlikely/#ixzz1CqeYAtl5

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »

I merged the two threads.  in a merge, first posted floats to the top.

apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »

I did not do a search. my bad.
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 06:52:40 PM »

we need a forum vote on your new avatar ...i am thinking? AAAGgggggghhhhhh. just wrong...
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »

meanwhile, the dems rearrange the deckchairs on the titanic by repealing the 1099 language of obamacare

Senate votes to repeal healthcare law's '1099' tax reporting language

The Senate tonight voted to repeal controversial language in last year's healthcare bill that requires companies to report goods and services transactions worth $600 or more to the IRS.

The Senate voted in favor of an amendment to the Federal Aviation Administration authorization bill that would eliminate the tax language. The amendment was offered by Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), and was similar to a Republican proposal from Sen. Mike Johanns (R-Neb.) that has 61 Senate co-sponsors.

The Stabenow amendment would repeal the language and ask the Office of Management and Budget to rescind $44 billion in discretionary, unobligated funds in order to offset the cost of repeal. The amendment would explicitly exempt the Departments of Defense and Veterans' Affairs, and the Social Security Administration, from these budget rescissions.

More

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 06:55:21 PM »

eh.  no big drama.  dups happen, no matter how hard you try to avoid them.  we merge 'em, so no one's comments are lost.

I did not do a search. my bad.

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »

we need a forum vote on your new avatar ...i am thinking? AAAGgggggghhhhhh. just wrong...

Grin

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »

Reagan’s Solicitor General Charles Fried: ‘I Am Quite Sure That The Health Care Mandate Is Constitutional’

-snip-
I am quite sure that the health care mandate is constitutional. … My authorities are not recent. They go back to John Marshall, who sat in the Virginia legislature at the time they ratified the Constitution, and who, in 1824, in Gibbons v. Ogden, said, regarding Congress’ Commerce power, “what is this power? It is the power to regulate. That is—to proscribe the rule by which commerce is governed.” To my mind, that is the end of the story of the constitutional basis for the mandate.

The mandate is a rule—more accurately, “part of a system of rules by which commerce is to be governed,” to quote Chief Justice Marshall. And if that weren’t enough for you—though it is enough for me—you go back to Marshall in 1819, in McCulloch v. Maryland, where he said “the powers given to the government imply the ordinary means of execution. The government which has the right to do an act”—surely, to regulate health insurance—“and has imposed on it the duty of performing that act, must, according to the dictates of reason, be allowed to select the means.” And that is the Necessary and Proper Clause. [...]

I think that one thing about Judge Vinson’s opinion, where he said that if we strike down the mandate everything else goes, shows as well as anything could that the mandate is necessary to the accomplishment of the regulation of health insurance.
-snip-

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 07:16:36 PM »

I'm not going to play dueling links with other people's thoughts.  that's just a waste of time.  I can justify my own opinions.

and I'm sure that I couldn't possibly care less what some guy from the reagan administration thinks about the constitutionality of obamacare.  no more than the obamites thought about his opinions when he was IN the reagan administraion, if any of them were born yet.

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 07:18:32 PM »

I'm not going to play dueling links with other people's thoughts.  that's just a waste of time.  I can justify my own opinions.

and I'm sure that I couldn't possibly care less what some guy from the reagan administration thinks about the constitutionality of obamacare.  no more than the obamites thought about his opinions when he was IN the reagan administraion, if any of them were born yet.

I just thought it was an interesting article.  *shrug*

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »

I obviously had the afternoon jumbo coffee with a double shot of espresso too late in the afternoon. Embarrassed

(and I owe you a *shrug* smiley  Wink )

I just thought it was an interesting article.  *shrug*

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »

I obviously had the afternoon jumbo coffee with a double shot of espresso too late in the afternoon. Embarrassed

(and I owe you a *shrug* smiley  Wink )

Smiley

GeronL

안녕하세요

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 11:08:18 PM »

We need someone who can photoshop. Obama needs to be smaller and off center while a giant eyeball is hovering over him.  Tongue

안녕하십니까
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email