[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 24, 2024, 09:20:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten arrested in US on charges of spying for Russia (Spy swap underway?)  (Read 2296 times)
Vonne

« on: June 28, 2010, 05:27:58 PM »

Quote from: BBC News
Ten people have been arrested in the United States for allegedly spying for the Russian government, the US Department of Justice has said.

They have been charged with conspiracy to act as unlawful agents of a foreign government, a crime which carries up to five years in prison.

Eight of them were arrested on Sunday for allegedly carrying out "long-term, 'deep-cover' assignments" on US soil.

Two others were arrested for allegedly participating in the same programme.

An 11th suspect remained at large, the justice department said.

Nine have also been charged with conspiracy to commit money laundering.

BBC News
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:01:49 PM by JohnBrowdie » Logged
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »

spy swap?  why?  something doesn't smell right here.

Alleged Cambridge spies to head to NYC amid spy swap reports

A Cambridge couple who allegedly led a secret life as Russian spies have decided not to fight their transfer to a New York court amid news reports that a spy swap is in the works between the United States and Russia.

In a surprise hearing this morning that lasted about a minute before Magistrate Judge Marianne B. Bowler at US District Court in Boston, Donald Howard Heathfield and Tracey Lee Ann Foley waived their right to fight the transfer.

"My client would like to go to New York to face the charges which are pending against them there. He'd like to do that as fast as he can," Peter Krupp, Heathfield's lawyer, told Bowler.

"We're in the identical position here," said Robert Sheketoff, the attorney for Foley.

After the hearing, neither of the lawyers had any comment on the reports of a swap that could lead to their clients' freedom.

The Associated Press reported today from Moscow that the 10 alleged Russian spies arrested in the United States in late June may be traded for a group of foreigners being held in Russia, including a man serving a prison sentence on charges of spying for the United States.

More

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:22:57 PM »

for us to participate in a "spy swap" would be to admit that we have spies . . . which strikes me as a bit unwise.

oh, wait, that’s right. it’s obama. he is just admitting that george bush had spies. he is "reforming a broken system", "restoring our standing in the world", and "hitting the reset button".

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »

the administration is going to make enemies at the FBI if they are tossing away a decade long investigation simply because they don't want to deal with it.

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 02:04:49 PM »

this administration is prosecuting the holy crap out of arizona.  they are investigating the CIA operatives that were too harsh on murdering terrorists that had information that could save lives.  they are going to try their best to prosecute BP out of existence.

but they won't prosecute russian spies, and they won't prosecute black panthers that were caught on videotape intimidating voters in front of a polling place. 

perhaps it is just me, but I see a pattern developing . . . .

jafo2010

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 04:27:50 PM »

Are you implying the Obama Administration is racist?  Why how could that be possible?

If truth ever mattered about race relations in America, it is my experience that African Americans are the single MOST racist group of people here.  Considering how Obama was raised after his birth in Africa, it does not surprise me what his mindset would be on every given day.
jafo2010

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »

What REALLY stinks here is the question no one is asking.............A 10 YEAR INVESTIGATION!!!!!!!!!!!!?Huh??

Someone please help me here.  Why just another ten more years and the FBI agents could have put in for retirement off this one case.

----- the information they were getting must have been real valuable for it to go on for ten years, right?  What were they doing, sending back the announcements on new Walmart store openings?  Because if it was of value, of course, like every thinking American, I would want to know why they let it drag out for so long?

News of this nature should be damaging to the FBI, etc, for I want answers as a citizen that I know I will never hear.

Time perhaps to consider moving to another country.  This one looks doomed by the day.

Vonne

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »

for us to participate in a "spy swap" would be to admit that we have spies . . . which strikes me as a bit unwise.

oh, wait, that’s right. it’s obama. he is just admitting that george bush had spies. he is "reforming a broken system", "restoring our standing in the world", and "hitting the reset button".

I'd certainly agree that it'd be unwise to admit that we have spies, if, well... there were actual intelligent people whom believed we didn't have spies or unregistered agents if we want to avoid the S word.  

With how long this investigation has gone on, we've likely already gained quite a bit of knowledge.  On what's been of interest, what's been learned, on Russia's obviously horrendous spy craft.  

I actually have to agree with the White Houses' position, on favoring the spy swap.  We've tarnished Russia's espionage reputation while intelligence agencies are likely now impressed with our counter-espionage capabilities.  A drawn out court room circus would likely expose at least some of those counter-espionage techniques.  While it's doubtful they'd be exposed to the public, they'd certainly be exposed to Putin's boys.  From what's been mentioned in the press, it sounds doubtful we'd be able to gain much by the way of intel from these persons while they languish in prison.  While it would free some people whom risked life and liberty for our benefit.  Lastly, while I personally wouldn't be too concerned with Russia's opinion of us over this incident.  A spy swap would allow them to save some face and perhaps help earn some favors for later down the road.  

Vonne

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 08:24:01 PM »

Unfortunately I forgot the greatest offense of this entire ordeal.  How on earth can a pretty red head be charged with any crime?  Blasphemy, heresy, hog wash indeed!  Hot red heads should always be given a free pass  Grin
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 11:55:31 PM »

which is a great reason why terrorists shouldn't be tried in civilian courts . . .

. . .  A drawn out court room circus would likely expose at least some of those counter-espionage techniques.  While it's doubtful they'd be exposed to the public, they'd certainly be exposed to Putin's boys.

Vonne

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 11:54:10 AM »

which is a great reason why terrorists shouldn't be tried in civilian courts . . .

Gasp, are you defining them as terrorists?  Which implies that Russia is sponsoring terrorism.  With a further implication, in light of the agreed upon spy swap, that the US is also sponsoring terrorism  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I think I understand what you mean though!  That's why I stressed that it's likely, that a court room fiasco would expose our counter-espionage techniques.  I'd still highly doubt that they'd be able to have a private military style trial for the Russians though.  Especially with the mere charges that brought forth, which I think would make it impossible.  Regardless of if it was a public, closed-public, or closed-military trial... I think we can all rest assured that Russia would still hear everything that goes through in the trial... which would certainly expose our techniques.
jafo2010

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 02:51:52 PM »

For anyone to assume that we do not have spies, or that it is an error to admit to such is underestimating our enemies, and friends alike.  We know for certain that Israel spies on the USA.  So, why not the USA on Russia and vice-a-versa?  Have we turned our brain to the total off position to think otherwise?

Ten years watching these people, and still no one can give a reason why?  AGAIN, if what they were doing was ANY threat to the USA, why was it allowed to span 10 years?   No one is asking the right questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email