[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 05, 2024, 03:38:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Senate Votes to Bar Funding for Acorn (after release of hidden video)  (Read 959 times)
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« on: September 15, 2009, 11:40:25 AM »

while I think it's unpardonable that the MSM has pretty much refused to cover criminal activity by ACORN (or whatever they call themselves now), the hidden video thing makes we uneasy.  not because it was hidden, or because glenn beck broke the story, but because it just seemed to be so poorly done.  "Hi, my name is jose, and this is my 'ho miss bitch.  we would like to open an brothel full of 13 year olds.  would you help us?"

huh?  how many times did they have to try that one before it worked?

Senate Votes to Bar Funding for Acorn

The Senate voted on Monday to forbid Acorn, the antipoverty group frequently criticized by conservatives, from receiving federal housing grants from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The vote is the latest jolt of bad news for the group, formally known as the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now. The Census Bureau told Acorn last week that it no longer wanted the group’s assistance for the 2010 census, while a hidden camera recently caught Acorn employees giving tax advice to people who said they wanted to run a brothel.

The provision, which passed 83-7, was introduced as an amendment to a housing and transportation spending bill by Senator Mike Johanns, Republican of Nebraska, who said on the Senate floor that Acorn had received $53 million in federal funds since 1994.

“This is a strong message by the Senate, and I hope this vote, which rises above partisanship to do what is right, becomes the rule rather than the exception,” Mr. Johanns said in a statement released after the vote. “I will continue to work to see that Americans’ tax dollars will not go to support fraudulent organizations or activities.”

The House passed a version of the spending bill in July that does not deny Acorn access to the federal funds.

More

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email