[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 24, 2024, 09:17:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wisconsin schools call off classes as budget protests continue  (Read 4131 times)
apples
Global Moderator

« on: February 17, 2011, 01:30:21 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/17/wisconsin.budget/index.html?hpt=T2

Classes will not be held for a second day Thursday in the Madison Metropolitan School District, said spokesman Ken Syke, because of a call by the Wisconsin Education Association Council for people to come to the Capitol on Thursday and Friday to "stand beside your neighbors, family and friends to help our voices be heard."

Syke earlier said about 40 percent of 2,600 teachers, assistants, social workers and psychologists in the bargaining unit called in sick late Tuesday, forcing the district to cancel Wednesday's classes for 24,500 students.
Because it is for the children! What a bunch of bull. This shows it is not about teaching, it is about the money with unions. Cut off unions.
GeronL

안녕하세요

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »

Apparently some teachers brought the students to the nasty, hateful protest. I wonder if they had permission to do that?

Apparently the State Senate Democrats have bolted, denying a quorum.

Why don't the Republicans ever try that?

안녕하십니까
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »

there are enough social workers and psychologists in the madison public school system to have to mention them in a story about people that didn't show up for work?  uh, I think I have found a BIG part of the problem.

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »

Dems missing from Wis. Capitol ahead of union vote

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7431743.html

MADISON, Wis. — Police officers were dispatched Thursday to find Wisconsin state lawmakers who had apparently boycotted a vote on a sweeping bill that would strip most government workers of their collective bargaining rights.

The lawmakers, all Democrats in the state Senate, did not show up when they were ordered to attend a midday vote on the legislation.

The proposal has been the focus of intense protests at the Statehouse for three days. As Republicans tried to begin Senate business Thursday, observers in the gallery screamed "Freedom! Democracy! Unions!"

Republicans hold a 19-14 majority, but they need at least one Democrat to be present before taking a vote on the bill.
If the unions win this fight it is over for the rest of the country I think.
GeronL

안녕하세요

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 02:02:28 PM »

there are enough social workers and psychologists in the madison public school system to have to mention them in a story about people that didn't show up for work?  uh, I think I have found a BIG part of the problem.

teachers only make up about 1/3 of the school workforce.

How messed up is that?

안녕하십니까
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »

How messed up is that?
They are backed by the White House. Rush just mentioned this fact. barackobama.com. They are behind this.
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »

holy crap!  we have definitely uncovered a BIG part of the problem.

How messed up is that?

GeronL

안녕하세요

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »

holy crap!  we have definitely uncovered a BIG part of the problem.

School districts already serve lunch all summer and soon will be serving dinner too.

Think about that.

안녕하십니까
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 02:35:09 PM »

the senate democrats are in hiding to prevent a quorum.  cowards.

Mike220

Cirrhosis the Wonder Dog

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »

Reminds me of when the Democrats here in Texas bolted last time we had redistricting in 2003. But they actually left the state to avoid being hauled to the chamber.

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »

yeah, but that one was righteous. Grin

yes, yes, I know. 

I thought gary sheffield was a thug until he was traded to the dodgers.  it's amazing what a change of uniform will do for a guy.  same principle at work. Wink

Reminds me of when the Democrats here in Texas bolted last time we had redistricting in 2003. But they actually left the state to avoid being hauled to the chamber.

apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »

yeah, but that one was righteous. Grin

yes, yes, I know. 

I thought gary sheffield was a thug until he was traded to the dodgers.  it's amazing what a change of uniform will do for a guy.  same principle at work. Wink

Gary Sheffield a good player. I always liked him.
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »

At what point is this a crime?
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »

Walker calls for Senate Dems to end their boycott and vote

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/116381289.html

In a telephone interview, Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller (D-Monona) said he was upholding the rights of workers and the democratic process. He declined to give his location but acknowledged that at least one other Democrat was with him. He said that law enforcement would be able to compel him and his members to the Senate floor if they are located in Wisconsin.

"I can tell you this - we're not all in one place," Miller said. "This is a watershed moment unlike any that we have experienced in our political lifetimes. The people have shown that the government has gone too far . . .  We are prepared to do what is necessary to make sure that this bill gets the consideration it needs."

The bill would help balance the state budget by cutting benefits for public workers and stripping them of almost all their union bargaining rights. The political theater is being acted out amid a massive demonstration of union members that is clogging the hallways of the Capitol and making the rotunda ring with chanted slogans as loud as the revving of a motorcycle engine.
The photo on this page, a 9 year old sits in courthouse... [edit to add]
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:45:10 PM by apples » Logged
GeronL

안녕하세요

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »

The TX Dems left twice!

안녕하십니까
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email