[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 18, 2024, 08:30:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Source: Childress tells Vikings Favre is a 'done deal'  (Read 5049 times)
Wretched Excess

« on: August 18, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »

there was an office pool after this last retirmement that speculated as to when favre would be back
in uniform.  I had the low estimate at "under three games".

looks like I may have won. Grin

It looks like Brett Favre is going to be a Viking after all.

One day after my column on FOXSports.com caused a firestorm regarding Favre signing with Minnesota — despite Favre reaffirming his decision to retire in July — Vikings players told FOXSports.com that Favre is in fact on his way to Minnesota and they believe a deal could be done as early as Tuesday night.

Vikings head coach Brad Childress began informing the team of Favre's imminent arrival on Tuesday morning, saying, "It's a done deal," one source told FOXSports.com's Alex Marvez.

One player had previously told FOXSports.com: "I'm telling you it's already done ... I don't think anyone here doesn't think that." It now seems that the player could be right on the money.

While Favre seemed to turn the Vikings down weeks ago, it appears that Favre and Childress never stopped talking.

More
Wretched Excess

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:27:26 PM »

espn.com is leading with the favre story.

Source: Favre to sign with VikingsA source close to Brett Favre said the quarterback, pending a physical, will sign a contract with the Minnesota Vikings for between $10 million to $12 million, according to ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Vikings coach Brad Childress confirmed in an e-mail to The Associated Press Tuesday morning that Favre was traveling from Mississippi to meet with the team.

Asked if the plan was to sign Favre on Tuesday, Childress replied: "In a perfect world."

Favre, a longtime star in Green Bay, came out of retirement last season to play for the Jets. He retired again, only to then entertain the idea of joining the Vikings. Last month, Childress said the quarterback would stay retired.

The pronouncement now appears to be premature.

According to Mortensen, the Vikings had sent their private plane to Hattiesburg, Miss., and left with Favre on it at 10 a.m. ET. The plane is expected to land in Minneapolis at about noon ET; Favre is expected to take a physical later Tuesday.

Two television stations reported that Favre was seen boarding a plane Tuesday morning that was headed to Minneapolis.

More

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 02:00:16 PM »

Poor Favre, he just doesn't know how to quit gracefully...or even that it's time to quit.  I get it dude, you love playing, now for God's sake get off the field.  Probably has something to do with being from Mississippi.  *ducks*

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:15:18 PM »

until the bicep problem, he had the jets at the top of the AFC.  I'm not sure if I am thrilled about the second comeback, myself, but I do love to watch the man play.

and, hey, we can't all be lucky enough to have tony chokes in the big game romo under center. Grin
Squeezer

"America...F*** yeah!"

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 03:50:06 PM »

Good gosh...this guy.  My favorite thing about being a Cheesehead is that our team doesn't put up with these it's-all-about-me drama queens/showboaters/attention whores.  I think the team made the right decision the first time he "un-retired" by offering him a position on the bench as Rodger's #2, and I've viewed all of Favre's shenanigans since then with a "thank God it's not our problem anymore" attitude.  I agree, I've loved watching him play since I was a kid, and will be looking forward to the minimum two "showdowns" between him and his old Packer pals...but I won't be upset if he gets leveled in the pocket. :-)
Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »

Good gosh...this guy.  My favorite thing about being a Cheesehead is that our team doesn't put up with these it's-all-about-me drama queens/showboaters/attention whores.  I think the team made the right decision the first time he "un-retired" by offering him a position on the bench as Rodger's #2, and I've viewed all of Favre's shenanigans since then with a "thank God it's not our problem anymore" attitude.  I agree, I've loved watching him play since I was a kid, and will be looking forward to the minimum two "showdowns" between him and his old Packer pals...but I won't be upset if he gets leveled in the pocket. :-)

I would have much rather dealt with the circus than dealt with going 6-10.

a surspring number of packer fans at the journal-sentinel site were out-and-out wishing that he he gets his leg broken, his knee blown out, or otherwise leaves GB on crutches when the vikings play at lambeau.  I thought that was utterly classless.

Squeezer

"America...F*** yeah!"

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 05:25:12 PM »

I would have much rather dealt with the circus than dealt with going 6-10.

a surspring number of packer fans at the journal-sentinel site were out-and-out wishing that he he gets his leg broken, his knee blown out, or otherwise leaves GB on crutches when the vikings play at lambeau.  I thought that was utterly classless.

I agree, and I didn't mean to imply I'm foaming at the mouth to see serious injury done to the man.  Setting the record for number of interceptions thrown in one game, on the other hand... :-)

I don't think most of us are going to just turn our backs on 16 years of awesomeness, but understand that practically EVERY Wisconsinite is a die-hard Packers fan, and to us he basically walked out the door without even saying goodbye. 

...And touche on bringing up our 2008 record. :-)  Though I would argue that Rodger's presence in place of Favre's was a minor factor amongst several other shortfalls.  But that was last year...if our preseason opener is any indicator of things to come, we're off to a good start.
Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »

dude, I am a "we".  I suffered through every game of last season.  I actually have a theory about rogers, but it may be premature just yet, so I'll keep it to myself for now.  and I think thompson and mccarthy totally ****ed the end of the favre era to peices ("crossing the rubicon"?  "the train has left the station"? WTF?!?!), but I am still packers fan even without favre.  what would I do with the closet full of green and gold stuff? Grin

as for favre in minnyhaha . . . maye he can beat dallas at dallas as a viking. Cool

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 08:48:19 AM »

dude, I am a "we". 

Yes, Squeezer, I'll go on record saying that WE might have well been born in Wisconsin, his blood either runs Dodgers blue, Packers green or Southern Miss gold.

lol

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 06:10:09 PM »

if anyone can bear to watch favre debut as a viking, the live video will be here

Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »

this is just not right . . . .

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 05:17:09 PM »

this is just not right . . . .

I just threw up a little in my mouth. 

Squeezer

"America...F*** yeah!"

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 11:56:32 AM »

*shudder*  Yeah...two years ago who would have EVER imagined seeing this day come.  Well, if nothing else, the NFC North will be an exciting division this year.  I got first pick in my fantasy football league and went with Adrian Peterson, so I don't want the Vikes to TOTALLY crash and burn this year...just not beat Green Bay. :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email