[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 19, 2024, 07:02:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Cat Is Manipulating You - Here's How  (Read 1514 times)
Wretched Excess

« on: July 13, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »

cats that don't kill bugs are definitely being manipulative. Tongue   

Your Cat Is Manipulating You - Here's How

The phrase 'like herding cats' resonates with people for a reason; it's difficult to get them to do anything they don't already want to do.

But they have no problem getting humans to do their bidding, according to a report published in Current Biology, which shows that even biologists are concerned about future feline-human relations.

It seems crafty felines accelerate the filling of food dishes by sending a mixed signal: an urgent meowing coupled with an otherwise pleasant purr.  Humans find it annoying and difficult to ignore.   It's not April 1st or December so calibrate your belief accordingly.

"The embedding of a cry within a call that we normally associate with contentment is quite a subtle means of eliciting a response," said Karen McComb of the University of Sussex. "Solicitation purring is probably more acceptable to humans than overt meowing, which is likely to get cats ejected from the bedroom." She suggests that this form of cat communication sends a subliminal sort of message, tapping into an inherent sensitivity that humans and other mammals have to cues relevant in the context of nurturing their offspring.

McComb said that she was inspired by her own cat, who consistently wakes her up in the mornings with a very insistent purr. She learned in talking with other cat owners that some of their cats too had mastered the same manipulative trick. As a scientist who already studied vocal communication in mammals, from elephants to lions, she decided to get to the bottom of it.

More
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »

In fact, not all cats use this form of purring at all, she said, noting that it seems to most often develop in cats that have a one-on-one relationship with their owners rather than those living in large households, where their purrs might get overlooked by poorly trained people.

LOL!  My two cats don't do this.  Not to say they're not manipulative, I'm clearly tied around their pinky paw.  When their food bowls are a little low, they're just extra loving, enough that I'm like "why do you guys like me so much right now" and then I'll see they just want food.  lol

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »

LOL!  My two cats don't do this.  Not to say they're not manipulative, I'm clearly tied around their pinky paw.  When their food bowls are a little low, they're just extra loving, enough that I'm like "why do you guys like me so much right now" and then I'll see they just want food.  lol

if you let them get hungry enough, they will catch and eat bugs.  jus' sayin'.   it's a question of desperation.

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:18:05 PM »

if you let them get hungry enough, they will catch and eat bugs.  jus' sayin'.   it's a question of desperation.

There was a bug in here the other day.  Monty was watching it.  I killed it.  Stupid cat.

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email