[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 18, 2024, 10:25:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: California prepares to pay bills with IOUs  (Read 2472 times)
Miss Mia
Administrator

« on: July 02, 2009, 02:36:02 PM »

California prepares to pay bills with IOUs
Schwarzenegger declares fiscal state of emergency amid budget wrangle

SACRAMENTO, California - California's controller will start paying many of the state's bills with promissory notes as soon as Thursday after lawmakers failed to close the state's worsening budget deficit, adding a new measure of indignity to a state sinking deeper into dysfunction.

Lawmakers' failure to act on Tuesday, the end of the fiscal year, also widened California's deficit from what already had been a whopping $24.3 billion — more than a quarter of its general fund.

The failure to balance the state's main checkbook prompted Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Wednesday to declare a fiscal state of emergency.

Under the declaration, state offices will be closed three days a month to conserve cash. If the Legislature fails to solve the deficit within 45 days, it cannot adjourn or act on other bills until the crisis is resolved.

The partial government shutdown also will lead to a third furlough day for 235,000 state employees, bringing their total pay cut this year to about 14 percent.

-snip-

This has been a long time coming for California since Prop. 13 passed.  The people want everything and don't want to pay for it. 

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Wretched Excess

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »

my birth state is a disaster, and I am sorry to see it.

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:12:14 PM »

my birth state is a disaster, and I am sorry to see it.

It's quite amazing how messed up it is. 

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email