[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 18, 2024, 05:51:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "F" Marriott Hotels  (Read 2208 times)
Vonne

« on: August 18, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »

Shocked This is taking things to just a new low...

STLtoday.com -AP-

Stupid AP summary:  A mother was raped at gunpoint, in front of her kids, in a Marriott parking garage by a stranger.  Marriott is blaming the woman, sending subpoenas to her friends and the community,
and indirectly releasing her name to the community.

Angry
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 05:54:30 PM »

That's messed up.   Angry

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:36:56 PM »

they apparently dropped the argument.  but that doesn't make it any less repulsive that they attempted it in the first place.

Marriott abandons argument that rape victim was at fault

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — The Marriott hotel chain on Monday abandoned its legal claim that a Connecticut woman raped at gunpoint in a hotel parking garage, in front of her young children, had been careless and was partly at fault.

The withdrawal followed days of backlash against Marriott International Inc., of Bethesda, Md., which had claimed in its defense of a lawsuit by the woman that she had "failed to exercise due care for her own safety and the safety of her children and proper use of her senses and facilities."

Her attacker is serving a 20-year prison term for the 2006 attack at the hotel in Stamford, Conn.

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
Vonne

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:03:14 PM »

John, I wasn't included the typically accepted first paragraph or two summary of the article because of AP's new stance on blog/summary/article name linking.

Is that something we really don't need to concern ourselves with here?  I've no idea how that new stance is being played out yet amongst the blog, legal, and forum communities.

Feel free to delete this post if needed.
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:21:33 PM »

John, I wasn't included the typically accepted first paragraph or two summary of the article because of AP's new stance on blog/summary/article name linking.

Is that something we really don't need to concern ourselves with here?  I've no idea how that new stance is being played out yet amongst the blog, legal, and forum communities.

Feel free to delete this post if needed.

heavens, no.  your post is fine.  as far as I know, "fair use" as it pertains to the internet has yet to be worked out at this point, but quoting 4 or 5 paragraphs seems well within permissible limits.

we don't actually have any posting guidelines right now.  given our size and "newness", it just doesn't seem necessary.

but you can post in whatever format you prefer. 

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:42:10 AM »

heavens, no.  your post is fine.  as far as I know, "fair use" as it pertains to the internet has yet to be worked out at this point, but quoting 4 or 5 paragraphs seems well within permissible limits.

we don't actually have any posting guidelines right now.  given our size and "newness", it just doesn't seem necessary.

but you can post in whatever format you prefer. 

Agreed.   Wink

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:43:50 AM »

they apparently dropped the argument.  but that doesn't make it any less repulsive that they attempted it in the first place.

Well, I'm not the kind of person that boycots for any ol' reason, and it's not like I'm staying in a hotel anytime soon (that I know of), but I'll keep this in mind.  This is just disgusting and a reason I would try to not stay at a Marriott.  I do book travel for work, but the people usually pick out a hotel, I only have to pick one when there isn't a room available within per diem. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email