[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 01, 2024, 07:21:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sen. Tom Cotton: U.S. has 'under-incarceration problem'  (Read 529 times)
apples
Global Moderator

« on: May 20, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/tom-cotton-under-incarceration-223371

Sen. Tom Cotton on Thursday slammed his colleagues' efforts to pass sweeping criminal justice reforms, saying the United States is actually suffering from an "under-incarceration problem."

Cotton, who has been an outspoken critic of the bill in Congress that would reduce mandatory minimum sentences, smacked down what he called "baseless" arguments that there are too many offenders locked up for relatively small crimes, that incarceration is too costly, or that "we should show more empathy toward those caught up in the criminal-justice system."

"Take a look at the facts. First, the claim that too many criminals are being jailed, that there is over-incarceration, ignores an unfortunate fact: for the vast majority of crimes, a perpetrator is never identified or arrested, let alone prosecuted, convicted, and jailed," Cotton said during a speech at The Hudson Institute, according to his prepared remarks. "Law enforcement is able to arrest or identify a likely perpetrator for only 19 percent of property crimes and 47 percent of violent crimes. If anything, we have an under-incarceration problem."

Expanding upon his remarks during a question-and-answer session, Cotton said releasing felons under reduced sentences serves only to destabilize the communities in which they are released.

?I saw this in Baghdad. We?ve seen it again in Afghanistan," recalled Cotton, who served in the Army during both wars. "Security has to come first, whether you?re in a war zone or whether you?re in the United States of America.?
160517_tom_cotton_gty_1160.jpg

Sen. Tom Cotton rips White House's 'failed novelists'

By Nolan D. McCaskill

Those advocating for criminal justice reform through such measures appear to have forgotten the high-crime days of the 1980s, Cotton remarked, noting that the federal prison population is declining.

As of Thursday, there are more than 195,000 federal inmates, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. That number represents a decrease from 214,000 in 2014, Cotton said.

"I believe the criminal-leniency bill in the Senate is dead in this year?s Congress. And it should remain so if future versions allow for the release of violent felons from prison," he went on to say. "I will, though, happily work with my colleagues on true criminal-justice reform?to ensure prisons aren?t anarchic jungles that endanger both inmates and corrections officers, to promote rehabilitation and reintegration for those who seek it, and to stop the over-criminalization of private conduct under federal law. But I will continue to oppose any effort to give leniency to dangerous felons who prey on our communities."
jafo2010

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:40:14 PM »

Yes, and let's be clear, drug dealing is a violent crime, for it results in many people dying.  I am tired of people implying that drug dealing is a non violent crime.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email