[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 06, 2024, 02:54:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rejecting the Keystone pipeline is an act of insanity  (Read 3064 times)
apples
Global Moderator

« on: January 20, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/rejecting-the-keystone-pipeline-is-an-act-of-insanity/2012/01/19/gIQAowG6AQ_story.html

President Obama’s rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico is an act of national insanity. It isn’t often that a president makes a decision that has no redeeming virtues and — beyond the symbolism — won’t even advance the goals of the groups that demanded it. All it tells us is that Obama is so obsessed with his reelection that, through some sort of political calculus, he believes that placating his environmental supporters will improve his chances.

Aside from the political and public relations victory, environmentalists won’t get much. Stopping the pipeline won’t halt the development of tar sands, to which the Canadian government is committed; therefore, there will be little effect on global-warming emissions. Indeed, Obama’s decision might add to them. If Canada builds a pipeline from Alberta to the Pacific for export to Asia, moving all that oil across the ocean by tanker will create extra emissions. There will also be the risk of added spills.

President Obama’s rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico is an act of national insanity. It isn’t often that a president makes a decision that has no redeeming virtues and — beyond the symbolism — won’t even advance the goals of the groups that demanded it. All it tells us is that Obama is so obsessed with his reelection that, through some sort of political calculus, he believes that placating his environmental supporters will improve his chances.

Aside from the political and public relations victory, environmentalists won’t get much. Stopping the pipeline won’t halt the development of tar sands, to which the Canadian government is committed; therefore, there will be little effect on global-warming emissions. Indeed, Obama’s decision might add to them. If Canada builds a pipeline from Alberta to the Pacific for export to Asia, moving all that oil across the ocean by tanker will create extra emissions. There will also be the risk of added spills.
This is a Washington Post opinion article, when WP is upset.....
Vonne

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »

Why is this being proclaimed as a rejection of the pipeline?  Shrugs
natstew

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:54:54 PM »

Why is this being proclaimed as a rejection of the pipeline?  Shrugs

Because he rejected it? ...duh.... :Smiley
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 02:10:34 PM »

Because he rejected it? ...duh.... :Smiley

While the current Keystone XL permit application is dead, the pipeline might not be. The administration will allow TransCanada to reapply for a permit after it develops an alternate route around the Nebraska Sandhills, a sensitive habitat.

This permit is closed, but TransCanada can apply again. 

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:21:24 PM »

This permit is closed, but TransCanada can apply again. 
Rush did a bit about this, they can do also try to do this another way, which will not need the feds approval.
natstew

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »

Rush did a bit about this, they can do also try to do this another way, which will not need the feds approval.

If it doesn't cross International border it doesn't need State Department approval. It can be constructed from Montana to the Gulf of Mexico without State Department approval,then later Canadian pipelinecan be connected to it, after Obama is thrown out of office.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:54:39 PM by natstew » Logged
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »

well, now THAT is an interesting take on things.  and that had not occurred to me. 

If it doesn't cross Iternational border it doesn't need State Department approval. It can be constructed from Montana to the Gulf of Mexico without State Department approval,then later Canadian pipelinecan be connected to it, after Obama is thrown out of office.

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
jafo2010

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 06:21:11 PM »

The pipeline will get built.  Obama's days are on the final countdown....he is in his final year, and will never again see the same day in the future as president.

Good riddance!
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »

well, now THAT is an interesting take on things.  and that had not occurred to me. 

TransCanada had already agreed to reroute the pipeline in Nebraska.  They still have to finish negotiations for the final pipeline.  So even if they wanted to try and forgo the Federal approval by starting in the states and connecting it to the Canadian line, the final route of the pipeline still isn't set.  So if the route isn't even set how is the government supposed to approve the pipeline?  *shrug*

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Vonne

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 08:54:24 PM »

TransCanada had already agreed to reroute the pipeline in Nebraska.  They still have to finish negotiations for the final pipeline.  So even if they wanted to try and forgo the Federal approval by starting in the states and connecting it to the Canadian line, the final route of the pipeline still isn't set.  So if the route isn't even set how is the government supposed to approve the pipeline?  *shrug*

The lack of comprehending this, is bewildering to me.

well, now THAT is an interesting take on things.  and that had not occurred to me.  

It is, I hadn't thought of it either.  Unfortunately it's irrelevant IMO, as Obama has already stated he's not standing against the pipeline, just that the attempt of forcing a bill for a plan that wasn't studied or finished yet.

To go with that further though, I would think a lack of Federal support would be extremely taxing with dealing with the individual states the pipeline passes through.  I'm sure they'd all try and outdo each other for concessions, in order to have the individual permits and land purchases/confiscations/leases.

...of course, than again there's Nebraska... who's state government was unanimously against the proposal that Obama was faced with....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:59:24 PM by Vonne » Logged
natstew

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »

What I heard an official say on radio is that if it doesn't cross the International border it's up to the States to approve it. The State Department has no authority over it if it doesn't cross International borders.

I may be wrong, I'm just repeating what I heard on radio.
Vonne

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 09:01:29 PM »

What I heard an official say on radio is that if it doesn't cross the International border it's up to the States to approve it. The State Department has no authority over it if it doesn't cross International borders.

Pondering this for a moment longer, I think that might be a bit of foolish thinking.  You'd still be dealing with Federal agencies for other permits, whom would quickly pick up on the shenanigans and not be too pleased. 
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 09:04:02 PM »

I may be wrong, I'm just repeating what I heard on radio.

Even if they start building it now, without the route through Nebraska set, once TransCanada wants to connect it to the Canadian pipe it would have to have federal approval.  TransCanada would still need to get approval from Nebraska on the route that avoids the tar sands - TransCanada already agreed to reroute the pipe months ago and they're in negotiations with the Nebraska government. 

Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »

Pondering this for a moment longer, I think that might be a bit of foolish thinking.  You'd still be dealing with Federal agencies for other permits, whom would quickly pick up on the shenanigans and not be too pleased. 

I think it's just hopeful thinking on some people's part.  TransCanada has already said they'd submit a new permit once the route through Nebraska was set, as the Obama administration told them to do.  Even if they did start it in the US, once they wanted to connect the US portion to the Canadian portion they'd have to get federal approval.  There's no way to completely build the pipeline from Canada to Texas without any federal approval. 

JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »

it's not about the details.  it's about the idea.  the obamites want to kill or complicate anything that looks like fossil fuels

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email