[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 18, 2024, 04:30:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rio Olympics. 2016  (Read 8219 times)
apples
Global Moderator

« on: August 07, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »

Will try to post articles about these Olympics. I usually love to watch them. Not this year though. I read they went on and on about re-distribution of wealth theme. Global warming.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/full-schedule

Plus Bob Costas must be doing them?

apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 12:16:20 PM »

Chinese Olympic basketball team caught in the middle of gunfight between armed gangsters and police as they arrive in Rio de Janeiro

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3726325/Chinese-Olympic-basketball-team-caught-middle-gunfight-armed-gangsters-police-arrive-Rio-Janeiro.html#ixzz4GVhc2mzy

Players, coaches and journalists were being bused from the airport in Rio
    Bus got caught in a firefight as it travelled on one of city's main highways
    Images posted by those aboard the bus showed people ducking for cover
    Shootout occurred when gangsters spotted police near the Mare favelas
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 12:20:34 PM »

Direct TV,

Olympic channels.

Channel 205, Olympic TV Experience, screens of all NBC channels,

Channel 205-1, Olympic Soccer, Brazil women are about to play... Sweden it looks like. So, we'll see, this should be pretty good.

Channel 205-2, Olympic Basketball.

Channel 220, NBC Sports. Highlights right now.

Channel 237, Bravo has Olympic tennis on.

USA is NBC too as of course, CNBC and MSNBC. So we will see how all of this works.
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »

https://www.google.com/search?q=rio+olympic+schedule&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#mie=oly%2C%5B%22%2Fm%2F03tnk7%22%2C1%2C%22m%22%5D

Medal count.
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 12:26:21 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/reports-claim-olympic-kayaker-capsized-after-hitting-underwater-sofa/ar-BBvkqgb

We may already have our strangest and most amusing story to come out of the Rio Olympic games.

Paul Kelso, a journalist for Sky Sports in the UK, reported on Friday that an Olympic kayaker had capsized after hitting a submerged couch.

No, really.

The report, which immediately sparked the #kayaksofa hashtag on Twitter, was not corroborated by anyone else. Nevertheless, the organizers are taking it seriously enough as to investigate it.
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 12:27:11 PM »

Shooting: American teenager Thrasher wins first gold of Games

https://www.yahoo.com/news/shooting-american-thrasher-wins-first-gold-games-140536631--oly.html

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Unflappable American teenager Virginia Thrasher won the first gold medal of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games on Saturday, holding her nerve against two Chinese Olympic champions to clinch the women's 10m air rifle event.

The 19-year-old U.S. college champion edged out China's Du Li, gold in Athens in 2004, with an Olympic-record score of 208 in the sport's new finals format. Defending Olympic champion Yi Siling, also of China, took the bronze medal.

Competing in her first Olympics, Thrasher, as the first champion of the 2016 Games, was awarded her medal by International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach and said the achievement was beyond her wildest dreams.
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »

Rio Olympic Golf Problems 2016: Capybaras, Crocodiles, Sloths All Over The Course

http://www.ibtimes.com/rio-olympic-golf-problems-2016-capybaras-crocodiles-sloths-all-over-course-2397665

After a 112-year absence from the Olympics, golf's return to the world's biggest sporting stage at the Rio games has hit a number of speed bumps. The latest trouble: the golf course is "overrun with wildlife," as People Magazine put it in a report Tuesday night.

The list of critters spotted thus far on the course is impressive. It includes sloths, mini crocodiles, boa constrictors, mico monkeys, burrowing owls and dozens of capybaras, the world's largest rodent
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 12:29:19 PM »

7 infections you could catch from Rio's dirty water

http://www.wtsp.com/sports/olympics/7-infections-you-could-catch-from-rios-dirty-water/287579136

The coastal waters around Rio de Janeiro, where many Olympic water competitions will soon take place, are reportedly teeming with harmful viruses and bacteria. So what illnesses might people catch if they swallow some of the water?

If the water has been contaminated with raw sewage, as has been reported, then a number of common pathogens could be lurking there and make people ill, experts say.

"There are many types of microbes in raw sewage that have the potential to cause human disease," said Stephen Morse, a professor of epidemiology at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health in New York City. [10 Ways the Beach Can Kill You]

A study of Rio's beaches commissioned by the Associated Press found much higher levels of viruses and markers for bacterial contamination in some cases than would be considered safe in the United States.

The biggest concern for athletes, as well as beachgoers in general, will be the potential for infection with viruses, said Dr. Alisa Mu?iz Crim, a gastroenterologist at Nicklaus Children's Hospital in Miami. Although bacteria such as E. coli are found in sewage and can make people sick, bacteria tend to break down in salt water, so there's a lower risk of bacterial infections, Mu?iz Crim said.

In contrast, "Viral organisms can persist in the salt water and the sand for days, weeks and months," Mu?iz Crim told Live Science.

The following pathogens could be expected in water if it's fairly contaminated with sewage:

Adenoviruses: Although best known for causing respiratory illnesses, some types of adenoviruses are waterborne and can cause gastroenteritis, or inflammation of the stomach and intestine, Morse said.
    Norovirus: Best known for causing outbreaks on cruise ships, viruses in this family are very common, and cause diarrhea and vomiting.
    Rotavirus: This virus can cause severe, watery diarrhea, along with fever and vomiting. It's a "very hardy virus" that's a common cause of diarrhea in infants, Morse said.
    Hepatitis A: This is one of the most common types of waterborne viruses found in human feces worldwide, Morse said. It causes a liver infection. Some people infected with hepatitis A don't have symptoms, but the virus can cause fever, nausea, vomiting, dark-colored urine and jaundice (a yellowing of the skin or eyes).
    Astrovirus: This virus isn't as common as norovirus or rotavirus, but it does have the potential to cause large outbreaks in humans, according to a 2012 review paper published in the Korean Journal of Pediatrics. It causes acute diarrhea, most commonly in children under age 2.
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 12:36:48 PM »

Gymnast Samir Ait Said breaks leg on vault (Graphic video)

Paladin2016

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »

Ratings are down.

The Olympics are good for business ? if the business you?re in is selling TV commercials at a premium, of course.

Fortunately for NBC, that?s exactly the sandbox broadcast plays in, and the Comcast-owned channel nabbed 19.5 million total viewers last night, per TVByTheNumbers. Generally speaking, that?s a lot.

Un-fortunately for the network, the impressive sum was still down 32 percent from London?s opening evening of competition in 2012. The four-years-ago start drew a whopping 28.7 million overall audience members. To be fair to NBC, live TV viewing takes a hit with every year that passes.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Rio-Olympics-Competition-Ratings-Open-32-Percent-9127718.php

I have also read viewers are upset with NBC because of too many commercials. Since I haven't watched any of it yet, I must ask you, Apples, is that criticism true?
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 12:19:53 PM »

Ratings are down.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Rio-Olympics-Competition-Ratings-Open-32-Percent-9127718.php

I have also read viewers are upset with NBC because of too many commercials. Since I haven't watched any of it yet, I must ask you, Apples, is that criticism true?

I haven't watched yet. From what I am reading people are upset that they are not showing all of a event.
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 02:39:59 PM »

Olympics: Hijab-wearing American fencer says she doesn?t feel safe in America UPDATE: She?s eliminated

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/08/08/olympics-hijab-wearing-american-fencer-says-she-doesnt-feel-safe-in-america/

New Jersey Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad is the first hijab-wearing athlete to compete on behalf of the United States of America. She will compete in Rio in the fencing competition and has become a bit of a cause c?l?bre for the mainstream media and NBC Sports as they have attempted to make her the poster child for the American team.

That means she is giving a whole lot of interviews and through those interactions with the press, we?re learning more and more about her and what kind of ambassador she is for America. How good is she at singing the praises of the land of the free which allows her the protection and religious freedom to practice as she wishes and have the honor to represent our nation abroad?

Spoiler alert: She?s trashing our country as dangerous and frightening for Muslims: (Daily Beast)

?[I feel unsafe] all the time. I had someone follow me home from practice and try to report me to police,? she said. ?And this is right on 28th and 7th in New York City.?

?I?m very vocal about these things because I want people to know I?m not a novelty, I?m not special in any way, I?m a woman who wears hijab and these are my experiences,? Muhammad said.

Muhammad, who came second to Michael Phelps in the vote for who should carry the U.S. flag at the Opening Ceremony on Friday, said the country is at crossroads.

?I want people to know that as hard as [these racist incidents] are on me, they don?t come even close to things we?ve seen like the shooting in North Carolina or the rhetoric around the Khan family at the DNC. It?s ridiculous and we as a country have to change and I feel like this is our moment.?

Asked by the Daily Beast what she thought about Donald Trump?s contribution to Islamic relations in the U.S., she laughed and said: ?Who? I?m sorry, what did you say? I don?t know him.?

Funny how she mentions ?the shooting in North Carolina? referring to the murder of three Muslim-Americans in Chapel Hill in 2015.  Ms. Muhammad had no comment on the terror attacks in Orlando, San Bernardino, Chatanooga or at the Boston Marathon or? should I continue?
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 02:41:02 PM »

Why are so many Olympians covered in large red circles?

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-37009240

What are they, and why is everyone suddenly going dotty over them?

The mark of an Olympic athlete, at least at Rio 2016, seems to be a scattering of perfectly round bruises. Swimmers and gymnasts, particularly from Team USA, are among those seen sporting the mysterious dots.

No, not paintballing misadventures or love bites - they are the result of a practice known as "cupping"; an ancient therapy where heated cups are placed on the skin.
So how is 'cupping' done?

The technique, which is a form of acupuncture, is done by lighting flammable liquid in a glass cup.

Once the flame goes out, the drop in temperature creates suction which sticks the cups to the body.

The suction pulls the skin away from the body and promotes blood flow - and leaves those red spots, which typically last for three or four days.
Why are some Olympians using it?

Athletes say they are using it to ease aches and pains, and to help with recovery from the physical toil of constant training and competing.
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 08:11:34 AM »

'The boy put a gun to my head and demanded my cash': Rio crimewave leaves tourists terrified as '15-year-old' thieves target Games

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3734704/The-boy-gun-head-demanded-cash-Rio-crimewave-leaves-tourists-terrified-15-year-old-thieves-target-Games.html

MailOnline spent two hours at the city's special police unit for tourists
    In that time 21 cases of theft, muggings and crimes were reported
    The victims were Olympic visitors from every corner of the world
    One man was held up at gunpoint by a boy he said looked aged 12
    British man Adam Yule, 25, had his mobile phone stolen by pickpockets
    Australian woman Chimene had her necklace ripped from her neck
    Station's police chief said robberies had only increased 'a little'
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 11:49:29 AM »

Lochte, 3 US swimmers lied about robbery to cover up gas station brawl

http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/lochte-3-us-swimmers-lied-about-robbery-in-rio-report/

Ryan Lochte and three other US Olympic swimmers lied about being robbed at gunpoint to cover up a brawl they had with a gas station security guard, authorities said Thursday.

Brazilian authorities have video of a brouhaha involving American swimmers Ryan Lochte, Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen and a rent-a-cop, ABC News reported.

At least one of the swimmers can be seen fighting with the security guard and one of the Americans was shown breaking down a bathroom door during the melee, according to ABC.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email