[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 25, 2024, 04:36:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duke Snider Dies at 84.  (Read 2616 times)
apples
Global Moderator

« on: February 27, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »

Hall of Fame center fielder Duke Snider dies at 84
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBO_OBIT_SNIDER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-02-27-15-27-59

Hall of Fame outfielder Duke Snider has died. He was 84. The former Brooklyn Dodgers star died early Sunday of what the family called natural causes at the Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital in Escondido, Calif.

The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum announced his death on behalf of the family.

Snider was part of the charmed "Boys of Summer" with the Dodgers in the late 1940s and 1950s. He helped lead Brooklyn to its only World Series championship in 1955. Snider also won a crown with the Dodgers in Los Angeles in 1959.
I rue the day Vin Scully passes.

Could you please merge this with your thread Mr Browdie?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:44:10 PM by apples » Logged
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »

RIP, Duke.

Hall of Famer Duke Snider, 84, dies

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Duke Snider, the longtime center fielder for the Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers who was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1980, died on Sunday morning following an undisclosed illness, both the Dodgers and the Baseball Hall of Fame have announced. He was 84.

Snider was the Dodgers' primary center fielder from 1947-62 and generally is considered one of the greatest among a long line of superb players who have worn the Dodgers uniform during the franchise's long, storied history. An eight-time All-Star, he still ranks as the franchise's all-time leader in home runs (389) and runs batted in (1,271). He led all major leaguers in the decade of the 1950s with 326 homers and 1,031 RBIs, and he hit four home runs in each of the 1952 and 1955 World Series.

More

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »

perish the thought.  vin if going to retire after this season, I believe, and I am afraid we will get charlie steiner after that.

oops.  I duped your thread.  wasn't paying close enough attention.  watching the game.

Hall of Fame center fielder Duke Snider dies at 84
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBO_OBIT_SNIDER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-02-27-15-27-59
 I rue the day Vin Scully passes.

Could you please merge this with your thread Mr Browdie?

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
natstew

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »

I watched him in a World Series between the Yankees and the Dodgers in the 50's, first time I was interested in baseball on TV.

As a treat, the principal at Mango Elementary School in Mango Floridaq let the 6th grade boys (no girls) watch the World series in the cafateria on a TV he brought from home. My female teacher let us know that she didn't like the girls being left out, but in those days the Principal was god at school.

I was for the Dodgers, the yankees won. I've hated the Yankees ever since.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email