[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 18, 2024, 11:14:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walmart is closing hundreds of stores and laying off thousands of employees  (Read 3039 times)
apples
Global Moderator

« on: January 15, 2016, 11:27:20 AM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-closes-hundreds-of-stores-2016-1

Walmart is closing 269 stores and laying off thousands of employees.

The move will affect more than 16,000 employees, including 10,000 in the US.

The closings include 154 locations in the US ? 102 of which are the company's smallest stores, called Walmart Express, which have been in pilot since 2011.

Walmart is closing the stores to shift resources to Walmart's Supercenters and smaller-format Neighborhood Market stores.

Walmart will also shut down 23 Neighborhood Markets, 12 Supercenters, seven stores in Puerto Rico, six discount centers, and four Sam's Clubs.

The company said it would try to place laid-off employees at other Walmart stores.

Employees who aren't hired by nearby locations will get 60 days of pay and severance if eligible, as well as r?sum? and interview skills training, the company said.

"The decision to close stores is difficult and we care about the associates who will be impacted," Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said in a statement. "We invested considerable time assessing our stores and clubs and don't take this lightly. We are supporting those impacted with extra pay and support, and we will take all appropriate steps to ensure they are treated well."

Walmart hasn't yet released a list of the locations that will be closing. The company will provide that information at about noon Friday. Walmart has more than 11,000 stores worldwide, including 4,655 stores in the US.

The retailer said it still planned to open more than 100 US stores in the next year, including 50 to 60 Supercenters, 85 to 95 Neighborhood Markets, and seven to 10 Sam's Club locations. Internationally, Walmart plans to open 200 to 240 stores within the next year
jafo2010

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 05:17:57 PM »

No question they over built in certain areas.  There are at least 9-10 Walmarts within five miles of my house, maybe more.

I expect one or more of these will close, most likely the older locations.

They hardly have any employees.  Try finding someone on the floor to ask a question.  Not going to happen.  And Sam's Club is even worse.

This is not a good sign for the economy.  I can say, Obama was highly successful in one thing, and one thing only.  He has destroyed the American workforce, the American work week, which used to be 40 hours per week, and thanks to Obamacare, has taken many millions down to under 29 hours per week, and without any benefits.  He and the stinking Democrats did this.  Anyone that votes for a Democrat has sh*t for brains, or maybe they are not that well endowed, and have just empty space.

It just nauseates me to hear Obama and the Dems talk about his many successes.  We have close to 100 million people sitting at home with no hope of getting back in the workforce.  They have given up.  That is Obama's stinking contribution and legacy.  The ignorant fool has done more damage than his limited IQ can comprehend!
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »

No question they over built in certain areas.  There are at least 9-10 Walmarts within five miles of my house, maybe more.

I expect one or more of these will close, most likely the older locations.

They hardly have any employees.  Try finding someone on the floor to ask a question.  Not going to happen.  And Sam's Club is even worse.

This is not a good sign for the economy.  I can say, Obama was highly successful in one thing, and one thing only.  He has destroyed the American workforce, the American work week, which used to be 40 hours per week, and thanks to Obamacare, has taken many millions down to under 29 hours per week, and without any benefits.  He and the stinking Democrats did this.  Anyone that votes for a Democrat has sh*t for brains, or maybe they are not that well endowed, and have just empty space.

It just nauseates me to hear Obama and the Dems talk about his many successes.  We have close to 100 million people sitting at home with no hope of getting back in the workforce.  They have given up.  That is Obama's stinking contribution and legacy.  The ignorant fool has done more damage than his limited IQ can comprehend!
It is not ignorance.....it is his plan along with soros.
jafo2010

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 12:37:48 AM »

Yes, I agree.  It is all by design, and I believe part of the globalization effort.  It is absolutely necessary to bring the USA down.  Mission accomplished!
apples
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »

Yes, I agree.  It is all by design, and I believe part of the globalization effort.  It is absolutely necessary to bring the USA down.  Mission accomplished!
Yes mission accomplished.  Angry Cry Angry 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email