[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 04, 2024, 03:47:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mom awaits sentencing in MySpace hoax  (Read 2270 times)
Miss Mia
Administrator

« on: July 02, 2009, 02:32:05 PM »

Mom awaits sentencing in MySpace hoax
She faces up to 3 years in prison for her role in Internet suicide case

LOS ANGELES - A Missouri mother faces up to three years in prison at her sentencing Thursday in Los Angeles for her role in a MySpace hoax directed at a 13-year-old neighbor girl who later killed herself.

Lori Drew was convicted in November on three misdemeanor counts of accessing computers without authorization. A defense motion to dismiss the convictions has received a lengthy review from U.S. District Judge George Wu, who delayed Drew's sentencing in May to review the testimony of two prosecution witnesses.

Much attention has been paid to Drew's case, primarily because it was the nation's first cyberbullying trial.

Prosecutors say Drew sought to humiliate Megan Meier by helping create a fictitious teen boy on the social networking site and sending flirtatious messages to the girl in his name. The fake boy then dumped Megan in a message saying the world would be better without her. She hanged herself a short time later in October 2006 in the St. Louis suburb of Dardenne Prairie, Mo.

Drew was not directly charged with causing Megan's death. Instead, prosecutors indicted her under the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which in the past has been used in hacking and trademark theft cases.

-snip-

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Vonne

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:43:57 PM »

I'm a bit at a loss with three misdemeanor counts of accessing computers without authorization.  I mean really, what sort of bloody charge is that in relation to what happened?  I'm a bit uneasy with just the whole concept of charging her with computer fraud or what not, over this cyber-bullying incident. 

Regardless, Lori Drew is one of this planets greatest tragedies.  It's just tragic that she ever existed, what a pathetic waste of a living being.   :-\
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:47:53 PM »

Well, there aren't any laws for cyber-bullying which is what she did.  Also the judge tentatively dismissed the case against her.  While what she did was reprehensible, it would be quite a slippery slope to then charge her with violating the terms of service.  I don't think that's a road to go down.  Plus, her life will be unbearable, I believe they had to sell their house.

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Vonne

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »

Well, there aren't any laws for cyber-bullying which is what she did.  Also the judge tentatively dismissed the case against her.  While what she did was reprehensible, it would be quite a slippery slope to then charge her with violating the terms of service.  I don't think that's a road to go down.  Plus, her life will be unbearable, I believe they had to sell their house.

I honestly would have thought that some sort of corruption of a minor charge, would have been at best, all she could be charged with.  As you stated, this whole terms of service basis for the charges, is just a really slippery slope to start. 

I'm relieved to hear that they sold their house, and lets hope that people are well aware of where ever she moves too for quite some time... Absolutely reprehensible
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »

I honestly would have thought that some sort of corruption of a minor charge, would have been at best, all she could be charged with.  As you stated, this whole terms of service basis for the charges, is just a really slippery slope to start. 

I'm relieved to hear that they sold their house, and lets hope that people are well aware of where ever she moves too for quite some time... Absolutely reprehensible

Yes, her actions were just disgusting. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email