[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 04, 2024, 01:29:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. court : California must cut prison population (43K criminals headed at us)  (Read 5202 times)
Vonne

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »

I am neither ignoring nor evading.  just winding up. Wink

As I mentioned earlier, I'm almost always willing to have a discussion.  As long as it's an honest, open, and friendly one.  They're NOT competitions nor battles of Google-fu. 

It's quite obvious though that our foundational beliefs on this subject are polar opposites.  Having such contrasting foundational beliefs, explains our remarkably different conclusions.  I'd love to hear the reasoning you have for such beliefs, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with them.   Smiley

I did run across this earlier today.  more evidence of the federal court system not understanding what prisons are for, or how they work.

That really was a peculiar ruling from the Supreme Court.  I wonder, albeit not enough to Google  Grin, what the reasoning was behind it.  Shrugs
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 06:46:16 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, I'm almost always willing to have a discussion.  As long as it's an honest, open, and friendly one.  They're NOT competitions nor battles of Google-fu. 

It's quite obvious though that our foundational beliefs on this subject are polar opposites.  Having such contrasting foundational beliefs, explains our remarkably different conclusions.  I'd love to hear the reasoning you have for such beliefs, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with them.   Smiley

That really was a peculiar ruling from the Supreme Court.  I wonder, albeit not enough to Google  Grin, what the reasoning was behind it.  Shrugs

oh, I don't know that our foundations are all that different.  you think (as I perceive) that one of the end results of governmental incompetence and inefficiency is that a some relatively large number of people are in jail that probably don't belong there, or at least don't belong there for as long as they are sentenced to be there.

at some very broad level or another, I'll concede that one to you, since I think governmental incompetence and waste is a universal truth.

but then the question becomes, "how do you expect the exact same incompetent government that put the wrong people in jail to suddenly become competent enough to only let out the right ones"?

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »

*ahem*.

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
Vonne

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 10:12:41 PM »

oh, I don't know that our foundations are all that different.

Perhaps not all together that different.  However, from your previous statements, there certainly are numerous presumptions or beliefs we have which are incompatible and would dictate where our versions of logic would lead us.

you think (as I perceive) that one of the end results of governmental incompetence and inefficiency is that a some relatively large number of people are in jail that probably don't belong there, or at least don't belong there for as long as they are sentenced to be there.

at some very broad level or another, I'll concede that one to you, since I think governmental incompetence and waste is a universal truth.

While not necessarily a conclusion I'd advocate.  It's close enough for discussion's sake to go with, for the interim.

but then the question becomes, "how do you expect the exact same incompetent government that put the wrong people in jail to suddenly become competent enough to only let out the right ones"?

While numerous government entities as well as the public were involved in the incarceration of an individual.  Numerous other government entities, will be involved in determining their candidacy for release.  This is beneficial, by my belief, as with an accepted level of inherent incompetence.  Separating these functions allows some measure of a check and balance system, which can handle a level of incompetence. 

As for the actual analysis of whom to release.  Distinguishing between violent and non-violent offenders, should not be excruciatingly difficult. 

If you're requiring an infallible level of selection.  By the mere aspect of human involvement, you're making an impossible demand.
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 11:13:24 PM »

While numerous government entities as well as the public were involved in the incarceration of an individual.  Numerous other government entities, will be involved in determining their candidacy for release.  This is beneficial, by my belief, as with an accepted level of inherent incompetence.  Separating these functions allows some measure of a check and balance system, which can handle a level of incompetence. 

As for the actual analysis of whom to release.  Distinguishing between violent and non-violent offenders, should not be excruciatingly difficult. 

If you're requiring an infallible level of selection.  By the mere aspect of human involvement, you're making an impossible demand.

Yes, I agree Vonne. 

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email