[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
May 03, 2024, 05:38:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back-to-School Cash Plan Opened Door to 'Rampant' Fraud  (Read 1751 times)
Vonne

« on: August 14, 2009, 11:36:36 PM »

Quote from: Jill Terreri, Staff Writer
A state program that put $200 cash into the hands of low-income parents of school-age children is opening the door for "rampant" fraud and should be suspended, Monroe County Executive Maggie Brooks said Thursday.

The program has caused stores and ATMs to run out of cash and the county's Human Services Department to be overwhelmed with in-person client visits and calls to its phone system.

Members of Gov. David Paterson's administration defended the program, saying tales of increased sales of video game equipment and televisions are just anecdotes. The program allows families who couldn't otherwise afford back-to-school supplies to equip their children for a new year.

What's clear is that the actual amount of fraud will never be documented because state officials said there is no way for them to see how families are spending the $200-per-child benefit.

Democrat and Chronicle.com
Vonne

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:40:12 PM »

...employees at the Wal-Mart store on Hudson Avenue called the Department of Human Services to say they thought welfare fraud was going on because there was a run on high-end electronics.

This statement just doesn't compute  Huh?  High-end, Wal-Mart, $200...  :Smiley
Miss Mia
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:47:46 AM »

This statement just doesn't compute  Huh?  High-end, Wal-Mart, $200...  :Smiley

rofl

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
JohnBrowdie
Administrator

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »

. . . and all these years I thought "free money" was an abstract statement. :Smiley

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email