Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
July 19, 2024, 07:27:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 'Near-normal' Atlantic storm season expected  (Read 4015 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Miss Mia
Hero Member
Offline Offline

Posts: 2502

« on: May 21, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »

'Near-normal' Atlantic storm season expected
70 percent chance of 4-7 hurricanes, NOAA says in its outlook

WASHINGTON - The 2009 Atlantic hurricane season should be "near-normal" but that can still mean deadly and costly, the federal government said Thursday.

Forecasters estimated a 70 percent chance of having nine to 14 named storms, of which four to seven could become hurricanes, including one to three major hurricanes — Category 3, 4 or 5.

The forecast also cited a 50 percent probability of a near-normal season, a 25 percent probability of an above-normal season and a 25 percent probability of a below-normal season.

The federal government said forecasts have become a bit more difficult given weather changes.

"Global weather patterns are imposing a greater uncertainty in the 2009 hurricane season outlook than in recent years," the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said in a statement.


Well, I can only hope that it's a  "near-normal season."  And I pray none hit Texas (well, or any other state). 

"I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions." - Zora Neale Hurston
Hero Member
Offline Offline

Posts: 8296

The Stink Eye is Watching You, Barry

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »

odd.  they have been predicting doom ever since the katrina/rita year, and invariably had to go back and revise their prediction downward several times thoughout the year as the sun kept shining.

but this has me worried. Cheesy

"Dumb people elect dumb people." -- Natstew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!