[x]
Welcome to the Stink Eye Discussion Forum!
Join the Discussion! Click Here for Instant Registration.
The Stink Eye Conservative Forum; Politics, News, Republican Election Headquarters
July 27, 2024, 08:54:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful moment in cultural sensitivity as BBC Photo BUYS a black woman  (Read 1084 times)
GeronL

안녕하세요

« on: January 28, 2011, 06:36:30 PM »

http://www.the-latest.com/bbc-cameraman-how-i-bought-my-south-african-bride

I'm sitting in my car, in a quiet side-street in Soweto, fidgeting. Beside me, my friend Mpho is telling lame jokes to try to ease the tension.

Outside, I can see a long row of bungalows. Each with individually designed steel gates and brightly painted walls. There are BMWs and Mercedes parked on neat driveways.

These days most of Soweto feels like a cosy suburb. A far cry from the anti-apartheid street-battles of the 1970s and 80s. My mobile phone buzzes. It's a text from Bra Gugu. He's one of my key negotiators.

"It's sorted," he says. I feel a surge of relief, and adrenalin.

Then Gugu and the team appear at the gate. And behind them, the tall, slim figure of Kutlwano - the woman I've just bought. According to local custom, we are now man and wife.

Here in South Africa they call it lobola or bohali. But the tradition of paying a dowry of cattle for your wife is practised across Africa. When I first met Kutlwano, two years ago, the tradition struck me as archaic and somehow demeaning to women.

But I've seen how important it is here and how seriously it's taken. When I realised that I'd finally met the woman I wanted to marry, I knew I had to do things the African way - and hopefully earn the respect of Kutlwano's family.

Bohali isn't a simple procedure. It is a long, elaborate process with many rules - each depending on the tribe and inclinations of the families involved.

My first duty was to write a letter to Kuts' father, informing him that my family intended to pay a visit.

except

안녕하십니까
GeronL

안녕하세요

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:37:09 PM »

I guess its okay when leftists do it.

Leftists can forgive anything but morality it seems.

안녕하십니까
natstew

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 01:22:01 PM »

I guess its okay when leftists do it.

Leftists can forgive anything but morality it seems.

In the 80's I could buy St. Croix Island girls for airfare plus $1,000.00. They would be mine to do with as I wished for 6 months.
 And no, I didn't buy one, but I'd bet money I still could if I went to Miami and looked for the connection. Slavery is alive and well, in fact we're all slaves of the Federal Government, they own us. Don't believe it? Stop paying all taxes and tell the Government to go to hell. You say, but we voted for it? Like hell we did. Find me one person that voted in favor of paying Federal Income Taxes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact Us by Email